Thursday, September 15, 2011

So you think you're a Tech Savvy Genealogist...

A couple of positive comments about my recent 99 Things Genealogy Meme - Aussie Style got me thinking and creating. Positive reinforcement is a great motivator. 


As a result of a personal brainstorming session this afternoon I have drawn up a list of 50 criteria that might indicate that one is a Tech Savvy Genealogist. If I spent longer at this or did it on another day I might come up with a different or better list.


I invite anyone with an interest in genealogy to participate. If you don't have a blog and wish to participate you can send your responses to me in an email and I will pop them into a blog post on the GeniMates blog. Please let me know about your response by a comment on this post or by email and I'll put together a list of links.


The Tech Savvy Genealogists' Meme


The list should be annotated in the following manner:
Things you have already done or found: bold face type
Things you would like to do or find: italicize (colour optional)
Things you haven’t done or found and don’t care to: plain type

Feel free to add extra comments in brackets after each item


Which of these apply to you?
  1. Own an Android or Windows tablet or an iPad
  2. Use a tablet or iPad for genealogy related purposes
  3. Have used Skype to for genealogy purposes
  4. Have used a camera to capture images in a library/archives/ancestor's home
  5. Use a genealogy software program on your computer to manage your family tree
  6. Have a Twitter account
  7. Tweet daily
  8. Have a genealogy blog
  9. Have more then one genealogy blog
  10. Have lectured/presented to a genealogy group on a technology topic
  11. Currently an active member of Genealogy Wise
  12. Have a Facebook Account
  13. Have connected with genealogists via Facebook
  14. Maintain a genealogy related Facebook Page
  15. Maintain a blog or website for a genealogy society
  16. Have submitted text corrections online to Ancestry, Trove or a similar site
  17. Have registered a domain name
  18. Post regularly to Google+
  19. Have a blog listed on Geneabloggers
  20. Have transcribed/indexed records for FamilySearch or a similar project
  21. Own a Flip-Pal or hand-held scanner
  22. Can code a webpage in .html
  23. Own a smartphone
  24. Have a personal subscription to one or more paid genealogy databases
  25. Use a digital voice recorder to record genealogy lectures
  26. Have contributed to a genealogy blog carnival
  27. Use Chrome as a Browser
  28. Have participated in a genealogy webinar
  29. Have taken a DNA test for genealogy purposes
  30. Have a personal genealogy website
  31. Have found mention of an ancestor in an online newspaper archive
  32. Have tweeted during a genealogy lecture
  33. Have scanned your hardcopy genealogy files
  34. Use an RSS Reader to follow genealogy news and blogs
  35. Have uploaded a gedcom file to a site like Geni, MyHeritage or Ancestry
  36. Own a netbook
  37. Use a computer/tablet/smartphone to take genealogy lecture notes
  38. Have a profile on LinkedIn that mentions your genealogy habit
  39. Have developed a genealogy software program, app or widget
  40. Have listened to a genealogy podcast online
  41. Have downloaded genealogy podcasts for later listening
  42. Backup your files to a portable hard drive
  43. Have a copy of your genealogy files stored offsite
  44. Know about Rootstech
  45. Have listened to a Blogtalk radio session about genealogy
  46. Use Dropbox, SugarSync or other service to save documents in the cloud
  47. Schedule regular email backups
  48. Have contriibuted to the Familysearch Wiki
  49. Have scanned and tagged your genealogy photographs
  50. Have published a genealogy book in an online/digital format


15 comments:

James Tanner said...

Did you know you were describing me when you wrote that list? Really, I have about 45 out of 50. :-0

GeniAus said...

James, Now that I have done my responses I realise that it was a bit of a self portrait.

Helen V Smith said...

Thanks for doing another of these!

Yes I now officially count as a nerd who likes her toys! Surprising how many of these I have done.

GeniAus said...

Maybe the list is too simple but I think it's that the audience it reaches is ahead of the pack.

Bribie Family History Association said...

No I don't think we are all ahead of the pack - some of us are heading that way and a lot of our followers are still watching from the sidelines. This is good because it gives those watchers a means to analyse what they are currently doing.

Joan Miller (Luxegen) said...

This is me too! I've probably done 90% of the list!

John said...

I posted my response, and added 30 more items to the list.

http://transylvaniandutch.blogspot.com/2011/09/meme-tech-savvy-genealogist.html

Olive Tree Genealogy said...

Hey Jill - great idea! Here's my list (plus one that I added)

http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/2011/09/tech-granny-tech-savvy-genealogists.html

Deb Ruth said...

Jill,

Great fun! Thanks for the challenge. Now I know where I to improve! Need more toys!

Deb

Here is my link.

http://deb-adventuresingenealogy.blogspot.com/2011/09/tech-savvy-genealogists-meme.html

Julie Goucher said...

What a great idea. Here is my post

http://anglersrest.blogspot.com/2011/09/tech-savvy-genealogists-meme.html

Unknown said...

Okay, this is a little scary, but oh so true!

http://nancyshively.blogspot.com/2011/09/tech-savvy-genealogists-meme.html

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the thought-provoking challenge. I do like my IT toys (most of the time!) but find it's easy to let them control my life. Love the Flip-Pal BTW. I've posted my response.

GeniAus said...

Thanks for the comments and contributions - a list of responses to the meme can be found at http://geniaus.blogspot.com/2011/09/tech-savvy-genies.html

JL said...

I failed. Better change my blog's sub-title.

patientgenie said...

Thanks for the geeky meme...

http://patientgenie.blogspot.com/2011/10/tech-savvy-genealogists-meme.html

Just confirmed what my family already knew:

GEEK PRESENT

:-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...