Thursday, September 15, 2011

Measuring up - The Tech Savvy Genealogists' Meme

My contribution to my new meme has made me realise that the criteria are skewed towards things I do.
C'es la vie!


The Tech Savvy Genealogists' Meme

The list should be annotated in the following manner:
Things you have already done or found: bold face type
Things you would like to do or find: italicize (colour optional)
Things you haven’t done or found and don’t care to: plain type

Feel free to add extra comments in brackets after each item 

Which of these apply to you?

  1. Own an Android or Windows tablet or an iPad
  2. Use a tablet or iPad for genealogy related purposes
  3. Have used Skype to for genealogy purposes
  4. Have used a camera to capture images in a library/archives/ancestor's home
  5. Use a genealogy software program on your computer to manage your family tree
  6. Have a Twitter account
  7. Tweet daily
  8. Have a genealogy blog
  9. Have more then one genealogy blog
  10. Have lectured/presented to a genealogy group on a technology topic
  11. Currently an active member of Genealogy Wise
  12. Have a Facebook Account
  13. Have connected with genealogists via Facebook (I'd rather see them on Google+)
  14. Maintain a genealogy related Facebook Page (GeniMates)
  15. Maintain a blog or website for a genealogy society (would love to assist)
  16. Have submitted text corrections online to Ancestry, Trove or a similar site b(Trying to do my bit for Trove)
  17. Have registered a domain name (www.geniaus.net)
  18. Post regularly to Google+
  19. Have a blog listed on Geneabloggers
  20. Have transcribed/indexed records for FamilySearch or a similar project (Feel guilty about this)
  21. Own a Flip-Pal or hand-held scanner (Think my camera does a good enough job)
  22. Can code a webpage in .html (I have noe desire to do this at all)
  23. Own a smartphone
  24. Have a personal subscription to one or more paid genealogy databases (Don't tell Mr Geniaus how many)
  25. Use a digital voice recorder to record genealogy lectures (Too frightened to ask presenters for permission)
  26. Have contributed to a genealogy blog carnival
  27. Use Chrome as a Browser
  28. Have participated in a genealogy webinar
  29. Have taken a DNA test for genealogy purposes (Kits in bedroom - keep forgetting to swab the cheeks)
  30. Have a personal genealogy website (www.geniaus.net)
  31. Have found mention of an ancestor in an online newspaper archive (Times in London and heaps on Trove)
  32. Have tweeted during a genealogy lecture (keeps me on task)
  33. Have scanned your hardcopy genealogy files (not all yet - still lots to go)
  34. Use an RSS Reader to follow genealogy news and blogs (Read in bed each morning with coffee)
  35. Have uploaded a gedcom file to a site like Geni, MyHeritage or Ancestry (No way, I'll take care of my own data thanks)
  36. Own a netbook
  37. Use a computer/tablet/smartphone to take genealogy lecture notes (usually a tablet - the lsptop and netbook slip off my lap)
  38. Have a profile on LinkedIn that mentions your genealogy habit
  39. Have developed a genealogy software program, app or widget (I'm not that savvy)
  40. Have listened to a genealogy podcast online
  41. Have downloaded genealogy podcasts for later listening 
  42. Backup your files to a portable hard drive
  43. Have a copy of your genealogy files stored offsite (Only remember when I go on holidays)
  44. Know about Rootstech
  45. Have listened to a Blogtalk radio session about genealogy
  46. Use Dropbox, SugarSync or other service to save documents in the cloud (Have accounts but too much data for a free plan)
  47. Schedule regular email backups (The Gmail accounts)
  48. Have contriibuted to the Familysearch Wiki
  49. Have scanned and tagged your genealogy photographs
  50. Have published a genealogy book in an online/digital format (Don't thhink I am patient enough to write a whole book)

6 comments:

luckyllama said...

I don't necessarily post my answers to these memes on my blog which is really only for family, but I have made a document which I can refer back to. It shows me just how far I have come in my genealogical knowledge, prioritises things I wish to do in the future, and the things I am not really interested in! So even if my answers are not there for all to see, they are certainly a good gauge for me!

Thomas MacEntee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thomas MacEntee said...

Great meme! I am going to mention this over at GeneaBloggers and on GeneaBloggers Radio tomorrow night!

http://destinationaustinfamily.blogspot.com/2011/09/thomas-macentee-and-tech-savvy.html

Rosemary said...

#43: PLEASE - subscribe to Carbonite or one of the other services. I've had to do 2 full restores from Carbonite; one planned and one not.

FamilySearch said...

Great meme! If becoming a wiki contributor is something you'd really like to start doing, you can visit the wiki contributor help page. wikicontributorhelppage

GeniAus said...

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate your interest.
I made a start on the Familysearch Wiki last night with alterations and edditions to Australian pages.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...