Thursday, May 11, 2017

I'm done with disks

The decluttering is progressing in my geneacave.

On the weekend I spent several hours making sure that the contents of my collection of backup CDs and DVDs had been transferred to my portable hard drives. I must have purchased my first portable hard drive about 2007 as that was the latest date I had on one of my disc backups.


It was quite a trip down memory lane as the disks held copies of the many websites I maintained in the early 2000's. There were a few files that I couldn't recover and some just required a file extension to be added to make them readable.

As I love to have stationery and supplies I find myself left with a collection of blank CDs and DVDs that probably cost me a pretty penny. I kept half a dozen of each (they may come in handy one day) and disposed of the rest.

New disks - going, going, gone
I feel like quite a dinosaur as I have moved from 5inch floppies to zip disks and the 3in hard disks to CDs, DVDs and thumb drives for storage. I wonder what will replace my now portable hard drives. 

3 comments:

Janelle Collins said...

Cloud storage will replace your hard drives, for sure.

GeniAus said...

Not at current costs. Think I'll be with HDDs for a while.

Fiona Tellesson said...

I've been using portable hard disc drives for about eight years+/-
Agree that storage is a challenge...what to keep (in my case everything!)and what not to keep.
Challenges all around...Great story Jill!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...