Saturday, May 13, 2017

Ethics, etiquette and all that stuff

I've had my head down during the past week preparing  a talk I am giving at The Society of Australian Genealogists on Thursday next week in Sydney.

It looks like it's going to be an intimate gathering as only 8 people have registered so far for the event. There is usually quite a healthy rollup when I give a presentation so I am quite surprised.

I was hoping that more people would be interested in this topic. Perhaps Sydney genies are all polite, kindly, thoughtful, law abiding folk who do not need some crazy lady telling them how to Do the Right Thing. Perhaps they are a bunch of researchers who are so busy hunting down ancestors that they do not think of the consequences of their actions. Maybe their geneabudgets are exhausted and they can't afford another event.

If you want to discuss how to deal with secrets that you encounter around Adoption, Crime, DNA Discoveries, Illegitimacy or Sex or if you need to make sure you are being a well-mannered and responsible genie this event may just be of assistance to you.

In everything we do in life it is important to reflect on and evaluate our actions. This talk will give you an opportunity to reflect on your practices in the geneaworld.

SAG members and guests can book for this session via this link:  https://www.sag.org.au/learn/current-events/full-list-of-events/icalrepeat.detail/2017/05/18/269/-/do-the-right-thing-etiquette-and-ethics-for-the-family-historian.html.

  

3 comments:

CoventryvilleJanine said...

Good evening (New York State USA) wise Please be assured that both your presentation ad the topic upon which it built sound very interesting....and are both important and topical.

If I win the lottery, I will immediately grab my passport, rent a private jet and "wing my way over" to Australia. Failing that, I will, at the appointed time, imagine you and an attentive and interactive group of genealogists discussing these important aspects of both genealogy and our interactions as human beings.

Kerryn Taylor said...

I really wish I lived closer so I could attend your talks Jill.

Unknown said...

I would be there if I didn't have uni! So annoyed that I'll miss it!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...