Saturday, December 31, 2016

Kerry Jones - a Positive Genimate

One of my readers, Kerry Jones, completed the Accentuate the Positive 2016 Challenge and sent it to me in a Word doc. With Kerry's permission I am sharing it here. Congratulations on a beaut year, Kerry.

Accentuate the Positive 

1.  An elusive ancestor I found was: David Culley, my fourth Great Grandfather.

2.  A precious family photo I found was:  A photo of my great great Grandmother, Ellen Crowley.  I found it quite by accident.  I went to the website of the Female Convict Research Centre and there sitting prominently on the site was Ellen!  I was delighted as I have never seen a photo of her before.

3.  An ancestor's grave I found was:  It was actually a photograph of the grave of my grandmother (who I had never met). Edith Ballard’s grave is in Queensland and I hope to see it one day.

4.  An important vital record I found was: So many!  But one of the most interesting ones that I found was the Apprenticeship of my fourth Great Grandfather, David Culley.  He was apprenticed to be a plumber in 1803 and later in his life worked at Windsor Castle.

5.  A newly found family member shared: I discovered some new information about my husband’s ancestors through meeting a new found family member.  Her Great Great Grandmother and my husband’s Great Grandfather were twins.

6.  A geneasurprise I received was:  Being contacted by a distant relative who had done a lot of research into subsequent generations.


8.   I made a new genimate who: I am studying the Diploma of Family History online through the University of Tasmania and I met two ladies who are also studying it.  One of them lives in the next street to me!  We have now met twice and have formed a nice little support group.

9.  A new piece of software I mastered was: Wavepad.  I used this to edit an Oral History interview that I had done.  It was remarkably easy.

10. A social media tool I enjoyed using for genealogy was:  Probably Facebook.  There are many different Facebook groups and reading some of the posts is very interesting.

11. A genealogy conference/seminar/webinar from which I learnt something new was: A presentation at the Dead Person’s Society in Melbourne.  This was on Finding Hidden Records and the presenter, Ada Ackerly was excellent.


14. I taught a friend how to: Use Ancestry.


17. A new genealogy/history book I enjoyed was:  Not a new book, in fact a very old book was ‘Tasmanian Convicts’ by Alison Alexander.  It is very well written and easy to read and very informative.


20. Another positive I would like to share is ...Learning as much as possible about genealogy is great.  Reading blogs, Facebook posts and studying online all help one’s knowledge.  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...