Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Trove Tuesday _ Help sought with Genealogy

Less then 30 years ago letters and articles like the one I share below were a major means of seeking assistance to solve genealogical mysteries. Although people today still put notices in newspapers the internet and social media have opened up many more avenues for communication and collaboration.

1985 'Help sought with genealogy.', The Canberra Times (ACT : 1926 - 1995), 16 July, p. 2, viewed 21 October, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article127208497
I wonder if Mr Shearer was able to get any response to his plea.

Today I can sit in my study and find immediate answers for David. In less than a minute I found Public Trees on Ancestry for Charles Michael Woodward. I found there also many references to Richard Gabell. On Trove and at the Australian War Memorial I found information on Richard and Elizabeth's son, also named Richard.

1918 'ROLL OF HONOR.', Forbes Advocate (NSW : 1911 - 1921), 17 September, p. 2, viewed 21 October, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article100308886

I could have gone on and on finding more information for David but my other duties called.

We are fortunate these days to have such easy access to online information.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...