Tuesday, October 7, 2014

A Quiet Wedding

As my mother's father passed away just five weeks before my parents' planned wedding Mum and Dad opted for a quiet family celebration. All of Mum's sisters manaaged to have fancy long white wedding gowns but Mum made do with a stylish dusty pink ensemble, I wonder if Mum ever regrets her choice of wedding attire. They had a quiet reception at my Grandmother's home in Kensington before setting off by train for a honeymoon in Jervis Bay.

Mum and Dad were married 66 years ago today, 7th October 1948. Today I think about the 51 years they spent together and the loving environment in which they raised me.

Mum and Dad (Left) on their wedding day

Setting off for Jervis Bay
Happy Anniversary Mum and Dad




3 comments:

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

Happy anniversary to Elsie. I guess what was important was the wedding but it must have been tough to be in party mood so soon after her father's death. the outfits look so familiar Jill as my parents were married in the same timeframe...we have lots in common.

Alex Daw said...

We have lots in common too...my father's father died less than a fortnight before my parent's wedding. How difficult that must have been for them. I can't even begin to conceive of it. My husband's father died 5 months before our own wedding. Sad and difficult times indeed.

Kerryn Taylor said...

Lovely photos Jill. Happy anniversary to your mum. It must have been sad for them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...