Friday, September 27, 2013

The Book of Me - Prompt 4 - Favourite Season - Spring

This week Julie Goucher of Angler's Rest asked us to respond to the following prompt in The Book of Me, Written by You activity.

Prompt 4 - Favourite Season

Do you have one?
Why?
A Happy Memory or association

Close your eyes and imagine your favourite season – write down what you see, feel, hear.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not too cold, not too hot, just right. 

That is springtime here in Sydney, Australia where I live. Spring downunder runs from September 1 to November 30.


An Australian native in our garden
The blossoms on our prunus and the blooms on our camellias herald the arrival of my favourite season, Spring. Not long after that the crabapples burst into bloom and the azaleas put on a dazzling show. The wisteria crawls along our pergola promising some shade for summer.
Azaleas


Prunus
Our stone fruit, apple and pear trees show promise of a good yield for Christmas, that is if we manage to harvest the fruit before the cockatoos, bats and possums descend for a picnic.
Hungry Possum
Fruit for Christmas?
I seem to sneeze a lot in spring as there is so much pollen in the area especially when the yellow wattle is blooming, I always hope that there is no wind around the wattle time.
Cockatoo helping himself to our lemons and limes
Taking meals outside in the shade is a pleasant activity in spring, there aren't too many flies around to share our food and the biting heat of summer is still around the corner. We always seem to have wonderful weather on Father's Day, the first Sunday in spring,  and are able to have a relaxing lunch on our back verandah.

So many of our plants have a beautiful perfume that fills the air although the aroma from our freesias is so strong that I cannot bear to have them inside in a vase. Visiting a friend's place I realised that I don't have a common jasmine planted, I have rectified this and look forward to the jasmine's perfume next year.


Freesias in the orchard
Although I try to swim all through the year springtime is the time of year that I get serious for eight months or so and try to claw back some level of personal fitness.


Pool time
I like to stay at home in springtime because the conditions are so perfect. As we are getting on we will have to leave our semi-rural haven for a smaller plot in a few years. I will try to move in winter so the parting is not so difficult.

I forgot to mention the roses!

This post has reminded me that I haven't taken any springtime photos in the garden this season. I had better get a move on.

1 comment:

my Heritage Happens said...

Beautiful! If I lived there I would love spring time also!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...