Monday, September 2, 2013

Are you in on "The Book of Me, Written by You"?

Julie Goucher, an energetic and enthusiastic blogger from the UK has issued a challenge to bloggers around the world to take part in a fifteen month activity. Thomas MacEntee over at Geneabloggers is also giving this activity his support.

In her blog post on Saturday Julie wrote "Today is the launch of what is going to be a 15 month project. Each Saturday, at around 12.30am UK time I will release the prompt for that week's Book of Me, Written by You.


If you are new here, welcome! The details, background flyer and Face Book link to the Book of Me can be found HERE."

As an advocate for creating future family history this activity has great appeal for me. I have created a blog for My Book of Me and I've joined in the conversation at the Facebook Book of Me page. I am impressed and the number of people who are the participating and discussing this project. Many of them have already posted on their blogs responses to the first week's prompt: 

"Ask yourself 20 times “Who are you?”
Each time you should give yourself a different answer, and if you can easily go beyond 20 then that is fine too. The last time I did this (December 2012) I came up with 26. This is the sort of prompt that you can re do at various stages of your life, perhaps after some changes or at the start of the New Year.

This prompt is about how YOU see YOU."

I am still trying to decide on whether I will publish my answers or keep them private. Interestingly one of the descriptors I included is "I am a procrastinator". I am also still evaluating my responses as I like to give due consideration to what I write; another of my descriptors is "I am a thinker".

Just yesterday the benefits of relating my family history was evidenced when a reading of  my Father's Day post elicited tears from one of my offspring. It is so important to record our stories for future generations.

Fifteen months is a long time but I am committed to this worthwhile activity. Will you be joining me?


2 comments:

Julie Goucher said...

Jill, Thank you for the lovely comments. It is great to have you on board for the Book of Me journey; I hope you enjoy it.

Sharon said...

Yes I am already signed up but think I will be doing it as a "private" project. I am not keen on putting personal details about myself on the internet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...