Thursday, January 1, 2015

Time for reflection - Accentuate the Positive Geneameme 2014

I am responding to the recent Accentuate the Positive 2014 geneameme that I posted here on this blog a couple of days ago.  If you have time I would love you to use these questions to reflect on the positives from your Geneayear.




1.  An elusive ancestor I found was..
I was delighted to go back another generation on Mr GeniAus' tree and to make an impromptu visit to the beautiful village of  Cuddington from which his ancestor, Joseph Piddington, hailed.

2.  A precious family photo I found was...

My cousin lent me a suitcase of  her mother's photos. I scanned all the contents and found many, many treasures. Thank you Jane.

3.  An ancestor's grave I found was...

Mr GeniAus' grandmother's unmarked grave at Liverpool Cemetery. We are negotiating with cemetery authorites to have a memorial erected on the plot.

4.  An important vital record I found was...

a death record at The London Metropolitan Archives for for my ancestor Susannah Harris. It pays to visit archives in person to see what one can find from local indexes.

5.  A newly found family member shared...

Several generous folk shared certificates and photos, this is a direct benefit of posting one's information on blogs and my family website.

6.  A geneasurprise I received was...

being named as 2014 Bronze Medallist Rock Star Genealogist Australia and New Zealand.

7.   My 2014 blog post that I was particularly proud of was...

it wasn't a post it was the birth of a new niche blog, the Geneadictionary. I am proud that I came up with the idea, am mastering Wordpress and that the blog is being so well received.

8.   My 2014 blog post that received a large number of hits or comments was50 blogs you need to read.

9.  A new piece of software I mastered was am on the way to mastering is...

Family Historian Version 6. A great help were the two one-day courses given by Jane Taubmna that I attended recently in Somerset.

10. A social media tool I enjoyed using for genealogy was...

Google+ remains my social media fave.

11. A genealogy conference/seminar/webinar from which I learnt something new was...

a fascinating talk at The Society of Genealogists in,London in November "How our ancestors died" with Dr Simon Wiills.

12. I am proud of the presentation I gave at/to
The one day workshop/seminar I gave to members of the Wyong Family History Group. They were such an enthusiastic group of learners who made my time with them so enjoyable. I love sharing my knowledge with interested audiences.


13. A journal/magazine article I had published was...

the third annual list of  50 Blogs you need to read for Inside History Magazine.

14. I taught a friend how to...I have convinced two close friends to use Family Historian so I have become their online Help Desk, 

15. A genealogy book that taught me something new was...I'm stumped. I learn something new everytime I opne the pages of a book.

16. A great repository/archive/library I visited was...It would have to be the Local Studies Centre at Touchstones in Rochdale, Lancashire where the staff who were so interested in our research went the extra mile to help us make our time there worthwhile.


17. A new genealogy/history book I enjoyed was...

Putting your ancestors in their place: a guide to one place studies by Janet Few (9781906280437)

18. It was exciting to finally meet...

Maggie aka iwikiwi at The Guild of One Name Studies seminar in the UK in November. I had met Maggie online in Hangouts on Air but actually became tonguetied when I finally met her in the flesh. It was such an unexpected surprise.

19. A geneadventure I enjoyed was...

Part of my recent holiday in the UK where for three weeks I dragged Mr GeniAus around visiting archives, societies and libraries and attending some lectures and courses.

20. Another positive I would like to share is...

I continue to enjoy blogging. I am getting so much pleasure from sourcing and sharing words and phrases in my new Geneadictionary. My latest publication is CurryAus in which I am recording progress and stories from my new Surname Study.

Blogging has connected me with so many interesting and generous people who share my passions. It has added a rich dimension to my life.

5 comments:

Alex Daw said...

Another great year Jill...well done you!

Anonymous said...

Jill

Thanks for another great suggestion. here are my positive replies.
http://travelgenee.com/accentuate-positive-2014-geneameme/

Happy New Year
Fran

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

Great achievements Jill...don't know how you keep all the balls in the air. Hope you have as many successes in 2015.

Bribie Family History Association said...

Wow love the new blogs and hope to catch one of your talks again in 2015

Maggie said...

I can't believe you mentioned meeting me, bless you! Was a fab geneasurprise indeed, and hopefully not too long before our paths cross again.

I'm still getting to grips with Google+ - love the Hangouts aspect, but not really using it for much else (yet).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...