Saturday, February 7, 2015

A Never-ending Friday

Friday has gone on forever.  I left Sydney on Friday evening at 5:45 pm and after 24 1/2 hours travel arrived in Salt Lake City at 7:45pm the same day!

I'll spare you the details of the journey. It was long, mostly on time and reasonably comfortable.

The weather here in Salt Lake is unseasonably balmy but there's quite a strong breeze tonight. Hotel checkin was pleasant, I asked for a front room and the receptionist obliged by putting me on a high floor. On opening the curtains I was greeted by the familiar sight of the State Capitol and the lights of  the Temple in Temple Square. I will have to wait until morning to see if the mountains that ring the city are snowcapped.

Night lights.

Having dumped my bags in the room I had a tough decision, should I satisfy my hunger or have a soak in the tub, the stomach won. I slinked into the restaurant and took a table for one.  Before I even saw the group of geneastars sitting across the room  I heard one of them sharing a story. It was the effervescent Cyndi holding court. I was pleased to meet Michael Lacopo (left of photo), author of the Hoosier Daddy blog (Read it). Although I was asked to join the group I politely declined as I knew I was really in need of a bath.

Geneastars at Dinner

Among the jobs I have on my list for tomorrow are: buy snacks and bottled water, locate some more genies, prepare my schedule for the week, blog, visit the FHL, research, break for retail therapy (thanks Cyndi for the discount coupon - the 20% off will make up for the fall in the Aussie dollar) and retweak my Rootstech presentation. My last job of the evening is to decide which bed will have the pleasure of my company.


Anonymous said...

Jill, Just been packing my bag for tomorrow. I will be looking for snacks and any other tips you have once I am there. Excited is not strong enough word.


Alona Tester said...

Jill, great to hear that you had a safe journey. My Monday is going to be about the same. Leave lunchtime from Adelaide, and arrive in SLC that same evening. Not fun, but has to be done.

And Fran, it'll be so wonderful to actually meet you. See you soon.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

gathering my strength at the airport hotel Brisbane and "looking forward" to tomorrow's 20+ hour service dinner is on my agenda. Ugh! At least you are there safely and good to go.

Bribie Family History Association said...

Have a good time everyone I will be looking forward to reading your posts - spent yesterday with Mum in her own home, she is doing ok and happy to be finally out of hospital.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to hear of all your travels ladies (view above comments). I hope all goes well for all of you and enjoy the conference.

Anonymous said...

Wish smooth and un-event travels for all. Keep us all posted on your blogs.

Rosemary said...

How much time did you have to hang around in Los Angeles? When I come in through LAX from Sydney, after having fought my way through customs & immigration and then through re-entry from outside security, I try to get to the airline lounge and have a quick shower. Business class and up get entry, I believe, and if not I've often bought a day pass so that I can get rid of the grime.

GeniAus said...

Customs and immigration were a breeze - and our plane had arrived early. Had to wait 4 1/2 hours but it wasn't so bad. I wasn't flying right through on a Qantas ticket so couldn't use my Q Club membership to get lounge access.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...