"The following small sample of free computer-based software is useful and reliable for the average Joe or Josephine computer user. All programs run both on Macs and PCs and have good track records of reliability. For more tools, see the School Computing Wikis Best Free or Open Source Software.
- Audacity allows the user to edit sound files.
- Inkscape is a drawing program comparable to Illustrator.
- OpenOffice has many of the same tools as Microsoft Office, and is compatible with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Scribus is desktop publishing software similar to Publisher.
- TuxPaint works much like the childrens drawing program KidPix.
- Moodle is an open source course management system.
- Apache is the venerable webserver software."
In addition to Doug's suggestions I use the suite of Google products, Delicious for bookmarking, Picasa for organising my photos and Blogger and Wordpress for blogging. Although I use paid apps for for managing my genealogy data one can use the free Legacy Family Tree Genealogy Software 7.5 or PAF 5.2.
Thanks, Doug, for reminding us that "Free is good".