Friday, May 29, 2015

Postscript

What I like about blogging is that it provides a dynamic environment for one to write family stories.
This is so useful when further research or reading leads to new information and insights.

My most read blog post about my grandmother's first husband John Bertram Chatfield was published in 2011. Today I have added this postscript to the original post.

Postscript 29 May 2015

Since writing this post I have visited The National Archives at Kew and have procured a copy of John Bertram  "Bert" Chatfield's Naval Record.

John Bertram  "Bert" Chatfield joined the Royal Navy on 14 May 1907 and signed up for twelve years.  During his time in the navy he worked as a stoker on nine vessels and his conduct was described as Very Good to Fair.

Bert's record confirms that he deserted twice in Australia. On the first occasion in 1910 he was on the loose for six months. He was more successful when he ran in  Sydney on 11 September 2012.

A snip from Bert's Service record

His service record  gives a clue as to why he chose Cobar. Prior to enlistment Bert had worked as a banksman in a colliery; as Cobar was a mining town he would have been able to find work there.

Having now read about Bullecourt in Les Carlyon's The Great War I have an understanding of the events at Bullecourt on May 3rd and realise why Bert's remains have not been found.

It is frustrating to fins that some of the links in my original post are now dead. I have amended these and they are live at this date.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...