Saturday, July 12, 2014

It's all about choices

I haven't been to a genealogy conference for a while and it's time to get my fix but I know that I can't go to everything that's on offer. It's all about choices.

I have been umming and aahing about whether I would go to the NSW/ACT State Conference in Wollongong in September but have decided that I won't attend. I will miss catching up with many of my genealogy pals but having perused the program I find that it doesn't align closely with my particular interests.

Instead I have made the decision to go on the short 3 night 6th Unlock the Past Genealogy Cruise out of Sydney in October that offers two full days and more of genealogy conference at sea combined with the delights that a big cruise ship like the 4.5 star Celebrity Solstice can offer (I am a cruiseaholic). I have confirmed with Alan Phillips of Unlock the Past this evening that I will be presenting on technology topics (TBA) on the cruise, that will be fun as I love presenting to fellow genies.
I snapped this picture of Celebrity Solstice as she sailed out of Sydney last year
Having looked at the cruise program I find that it aligns with my specific needs and interests. Firstly there is a convict stream presented by Cathy Dunn (a Norfolk Island Expert) and, as someone with over ten direct ancestors who are convicts, this is right up my alley, secondly there will be experts from the three eastern states presenting on research in those areas. Carole Riley will be covering New South Wales and Shauna Hicks will be covering Queensland and Victoria. These experts will be available to give one on one assistance in the research help zone. I am hoping that I can get some guidance from Cathy about one of my Norfolk Island people.

If I was a user of Family Tree Maker software I would definitely be joining this cruise as Australian FTM guru, John Donaldson will be presenting a stream of talks about the package. He will also be available in the research help zone to help users with particular issues. Rosemary Kopittke will complete the lineup of presenters.

Information about this cruise that is priced from just $969 (twin share) can be found on the Unlock the Past Cruises website.

I hope to see some of my mates on this geneacruise.

1 comment:

Alona Tester said...

The topics look good on this cruise. Alas I do have to work, so won't be joining you on this one. But have fun, and enjoy the lots of learning!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...