Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Organising those photos

I've read a few posts from various genealogists suggesting use of online sites such as Flickr and Picasa to store and organise photo collections. These free tools provide one means of organising images, however, some people would rather keep their photos on their own systems and not store them

I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 to store and manage my growing collection (presently 52,000) of digital photos on a portable hard drive. After editing images it is an easy matter to place them in albums and tag them with details such as name, date, location, activity or any custom tag. These tags can be written as metadata to the images so that when the images are shared the tags are also shared. Custom searches of the collection are very fast enabling one to locate desired images within seconds. Once I have loaded, edited and tagged my images I back them up to DVD and store them away from the external hard drive housing the main collection.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...