Friday, May 8, 2020

GeniAus - #AtoZChallenge - Reflections

During April 2020 the month of this #AtoZChallenge I will be sharing short posts on some of the 2,000+ descendants I have identified of my 3x Great-Grandmother, Elizabeth Phipps

Elizabeth Phipps 1785-1869 was a convict who was transported from England to New South Wales in 1814 per Wanstead


Will I do it again? 

It really depends on the time I have in the weeks leading up to the challenge. This year I had plenty of time to prepare, research and even write up a few posts before the challenge commenced. This buffer enabled me to take days off during the challenge. At the moment I think that my next challenge will focus on some of the thousands of photos I have taken during my travels.

Taking part in the challenge forced me to go over research done years ago, I was able to add more to direct ancestors' stories plus discover new cousins. I realise that posts of the type I wrote aren't of particular interest to other bloggers. My purpose was not to attract readers but to put the stories in to cyberspace so that they would be available for distant cousins to find in the future. I wasn't hoping for immediate success but paving the way for future connections.

I tried to comment on a few posts from each of those geneabloggers who were participating in the challenge, this wasn't something I did on a daily basis but at times when I could spare half an hour for reading. I appreciated the comments made on my posts, it's always good to get some positive rinforcement.

Congratulations to all those who rose to the challenge and demonstrated their support for  collaboration by generously sharing family stories. We must celebrate our ancestors by telling their stories.


2 comments:

Anne Young said...

G'day :) I enjoyed getting to know your Phipps cousins and I think it was a clever idea. I also think it is a great way to get the stories of people out there and ensure they are remembered - not just names and dates on family trees. A buffer of a few posts prepared ahead certainly helped me to manage through the challenge too. Congratulations on completing the challenge.

GenieJen said...

Thanks for your encouragement and support. I enjoyed your posts and those of other bloggers. I agree it's value lies in being available to ew researchers in coming years. Whew, time to do something else.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...