Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Digital Photo Frame = Family History Memory Jogger

When some of the kids presented me with a large screen digital photo frame for Christmas I wondered what I would do with it and where I'd put it. The gift-givers promptly found a home for it near a power outlet in the living room. I popped in the SD card I am currently using and the display of recent photos in the background amused us. I still thought of it as a bit of a nine day wonder!

Before our guests arrived for dinner a few nights ago my husband asked if I was going to put some photos in the frame. As I have all my scanned photos organised and tagged in Adobe Photoshop Elements it did not take me long to put together a collection of photos of the impending visitors and their family members and save it to an SD card.

On arrival the visitors said "Oh, did you get one of those for Christmas too?." They then started looking at the photos, after a while they realised that they were viewing a collection of photos from the last 42 years relating to their family. This was a great hit and gave us opportunities to recall shared family occasions and compare memories.

What a boon this new toy will be when aunts, cousins and other relations visit. I'll make it a practice to put together collections before they visit. It won't be too hard to pack the frame up and take it on visits to elderly relatives. No doubt these digital displays will jog memories and produce anecdotes to add richness to our family story.

I am now thrilled to have my new toy.

2 comments:

Miriam Robbins said...

What a great idea...so much less trouble than packing up stacks of photo albums, and you don't have to worry about accidentally damaging the photos, either!

Anonymous said...

My inlaw has been keen on one of these for the last year or so, needless to say i also had the '9 day wonder' type thought as well.

But you have given me a different perspective after reading your post..... perhaps i should be getting one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...