Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Trove Tuesday - Flowers, Fruit and Gardens

As I was out driving today I saw notices for the local garden society open gardens weekend. I live in Galston, a semi-rural area on the edge of Sydney and many of the 5 acre properties here have magnificent gardens that are opened once a year for charity. Sadly my poor garden would never make the cut.

These properties were once orchards that provided citrus and stone fruit to Sydney and surrounds. Mr Geniaus ancestor, Margaret Gillespie (nee Munro), one one of the early orchardists in the area in the late 19th century.

Because I had gardens on my mind I wondered what I could find on Trove about Galston and gardens. I dug up this article from 1898 and, when I read through it, found mention of Miss Gillespie, one of Margaret's two daughters, who had won a prize at the show for best passionfruit.

It is a coincidence that we now live in the area and also have a passionfruit vine.

1898 'Galston Wild Flower Show.', The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate (Parramatta, NSW : 1888 - 1950), 8 October, p. 12, viewed 7 October, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article85839346

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...