Friday, October 11, 2013

A Geneameme from Crissouli

Crissouli on her "As they were" blog asks genealogists to answer a few questions. Now Crissouli calls this a questionnaire but I am labelling it as a geneameme. How about joining in?

Here are my responses that I am also going to copy into my private Book of Me, Written by You blog:

QUESTIONNAIRE

1. What is the most important detail you want to find about your  ancestors?

I want to know all about them, I want to put flesh on the bones of the dry old dates and facts in my family tree. I want to hear these stories, I want to know about how they lived and about their feelings. Were they happy with their lot in life? Did they have ambitions? Were they able to fulfil their ambitions? 

2. Do you buy certificates?

I purchase certificates for all my direct ancestors. When I am stuck I might buy a certificate for a collateral line. Sometimes I buy a certificate because of a fascinating story about a great uncle all distant cousin but mostly for indirect ancestors I rely on free will second resources.

3.  Do you belong to a paid subscription site, if so, which one/s?
At the moment I have full subscriptions to ancestry.co.uk and findmypast.com. I also have a subscription to the new Biographical Database of Australia.


4. What has been your 'best' find?
This changes on a daily basis. Finding a grandfather clock made by Mr Geniaus' ancestor and having it shipped to Australia was a great buzz. Closer to home finding an obituary for my ancestor, Bridget Ryan, at the Forbes family history group opened up a whole new branch of my family.


5. Who is your favourite ancestor and why?

Elizabeth Phipps, the convict. I would love to know which of her partners is my direct ancestor.

6. What are you looking for on a regular basis? 
Anyone who is related to me.

7. Do you belong to any genealogy group, or family history society?

I belong to a couple of local groups, the Hawkesbury Family History Group and the Ku-ring-gai Historical Society. I enjoy the educational opportunities offered by local societies and friendships formed with people with shared interests. I am also a member of the Society of Australian Genealogists and the Society of Genealogists in the UK.

8. Do you belong to any Facebook or other social media genealogy groups? Would you join if there was one available?

I belong to several Facebook genealogy groups and manage one for a society. Google plus is however the social media tool I prefer for genealogy. I mainly use Twitter to broadcast messages from events.

9. Have you ever volunteered to transcribe, index etc.? Would you be interested in doing so? 
I have not taken part in any indexing projects but I regularly correct text on Trove.

10. What is your personal reason for being involved with genealogy/family history?

To discover the stories of my ancestors and to leave a legacy for future generations.

2 comments:

Celia Lewis said...

ohhh, I might have to do this for me, too, Jill. Time to be dragged away from my other endeavours! I like these questions.

Crissouli said...

Thank you for participating, Jill... Happy to have you call it a geneameme. :-) which it is as well.

One of the things I like most about blogging is the friendships that are formed, both online and off. I recall reading about that grandfather clock, what a wonderful find, and how great that you now have it.

I also am delighted with whatever I find...

Nice to read all your answers, thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...