Thursday, October 31, 2013

The Book of Me - Week 9 - Hallowe'en

This week’s (Week 9) prompt is Halloween. You can view the video for the prompt here on Youtube

Have you ever participated in a Halloween event?
When was it?
Where was it?
What did you dress as?
Trick or treat?

------------------------
This is another lazy week for me as I blogged my thoughts about Hallowe'en last year. So I will edit that post and paste it here:

Dishing lollies out to grandchildren in 2011

I am a Bah Humbug when it comes to Hallowe'en and the practice of Trick or Treating that has crossed the Pacific in recent years; the Australian fascination with Trick or Treating only seems to have appeared this century. I feel that we have enough Australian traditions that we don't need to import any more, especially those that involve hastening the ruin of kids' teeth and adding extra grams to their chubby little bodies.

But when it comes to the grandchildren...... there are just some things one has to do.

Hallowe'en 2011 saw me donning my academic gown and a witches hat, buying a cache of sweets and waiting for the doorbell to ring. As our driveway is a hundred metres long children do not randomly call at our place so I knew who it would be when the doorbell rang.

I answered in my best witch's voice and frightened my poor two year old grand-daughter; her five year old brother thought it quite funny. As can be seen from the photo above the poor little one was still not sure of herself when we posed for a photo after I distributed the lollies.

I was pleased to hear that these grandchildren won't be Trick or Treating this year - they are leaving this activity to people on the other side of the Pacific Ocean.



3 comments:

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

Like you I'm not too keen on the importation of traditions...the security and safety issues bother me as well as the health ones.

But like you...what you do for your grandkids. Mine have been on about it all week but are only trick or treating in their area, so I reckon I'm safe.

Lizzie said...

Have been interested to read the history of trick or treating has its roots in Ireland and Scotland. Perhaps it is very much part of our family's culture.

Kim said...

Love it Jill. We are soul sisters I would say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...