Friday, October 4, 2013

Rootstech from Afar

With some mates at Rootstech 2013
L-R GeniAus, Audrey Collins, Dear Myrtle and Randy Seaver 
Due to a prior engagement I won't be attending the RootsTech Conference this year. I am disappointed about this but it can't be helped and I am looking forward to returning to Salt Lake City in 2015 for the combined RootsTech and FGS Conference.

I've been in denial about my non-attendance at RootsTech 2014 so I haven't blogged about the event that will be held in four months time from February 6 - 8, 2014. Should you be contemplating attending this amazing event you had better get your skates on if you wish to take advantage of early bird registration, with a Full Access Pass for just $159. A contingent Australians travelled to Salt Lake City for the event last year and combined conference attendance with research time in the Family History Library. Those with whom I have spoken intend to attend a future RootsTech.


Australians, Alona Tester and Helen Smith, at Rootstech 2013
It has been my privilege to be an Official Blogger at the first three RootsTech conferences. Although the work associated with this role has meant that I have not been able to attend all conference sessions I have been given opportunities to meet and interview many stars in the genealogy world. The folk from Familysearch have afforded the Official Bloggers the same privileges that are extended to members of traditional media, we have had briefing meetings, a good seat in the opening keynote session, a dedicated workplace in the exhibit hall and opportunities to meet with speakers and sponsors.

When I woke on Wednesday morning I noted via social media that two fellow Geneabloggers were excited about receiving invitations to become Official Bloggers for the RootsTech 2014 Conference. I took a peek at my mailbox and was thrilled when I saw a message from Paul Nauta, PR guy at Familysearch (and minder extraordinaire to the official bloggers) inviting me to also join the team of Official Bloggers for 2014. Then I worried about whether I should accept the invitation or not. However, when I read the fine print I noted that Official Bloggers were welcome to blog remotely. I perused the conditions and realised that I would have no trouble fulfilling my obligations to the conference from afar. I promptly fired off an acceptance and am waiting for the Official Blogger badge that I will proudly display on this blog. My mugshot and biography will appear on the Rootstech site in due course.

Rootstech is planning to have satellite conference sites in a number of locations around the world. As I will be at sea I hope that I can coordinate a visit to one of these sites on a day that I am in port.

Official Blogger status at this premier event is something that is prized by bloggers in the United States. This little old Australian granny is honoured to be included in the team with the big guns in the geneablogging world.

Thank you RootsTech and FamilySearch.








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blog noting that you enjoyed the last Rootstech and that there will be other Aussies attending. I have not been to any family history meetings at all but I have booked to go in 2014 from Australia as I will be in the USA at that time.

GeniAus said...

So sorry I won't be at Rootstech to meet you. It is a fantastic experience.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...