Tuesday, April 13, 2021

K is for ...Kilbegnet (Ireland) to Trunkey (N.S.W.)

 I've been researching my family history for over thirty years. Along this genealogy journey I have been supported by hundreds of books, many of which I have listed on my Librarything page. 

During the 2021 #AtoZChallenge I will be writing about two of my passions, books and family history. I'll be taking a trip down memory lane and revisiting some of those books that have enriched my genealogy experience.


I can't remember much about this book, Kilbegnet (Ireland) to Trunkey (N.S.W.) : the story of Hugh and Mary Carney and their Australian descendants, that I viewed at The National Library of Australia back in 2010. As I gave it a 3/5 star rating it must have a decent enough book. 

In this book I found mention of some of my cousins, as my Great-Great Aunt, Margaret Aspinall had married a Carney descendant. 

Why am I highlighting this book? I chose it to represent the many family histories I have consulted during my family history journey. From seeking out and looking in these books I have found many clues to help me build my family tree. However, I always treat what I find as clues and seek out reliable sources to validate them and turn them into facts. One cannot underestimate the value of these works.

To locate similar works relating to your ancestors you can do a search for "Familyname Family" in the Books and Libraries category on Trove or in any library catalogue. 

4 comments:

Anne Young said...

Family histories are an excellent resource. Unfortunately many have no citations and one has to retrace the steps to verify. I have been having a lot of success finding old books through archive.org

Dara said...

What a thrill to find your family mentioned in the family history book.

Alex Daw said...

Dear Jill - well of course, I did as instructed and punched in several names plus family into the Trove search box. Oh dear. You have opened a can of worms! Was pleased to see my own blog up high on the list when I put in Daw Family. Interesting.

GeniAus said...

Thanks for visiting, I think we should treat old printed family histories in the same way we treat the online trees at the mega genealogy sites.

Alex, Good old Trove often comes up with the goods.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...