Wednesday, April 21, 2021

2021 #AtoZChallenge R is for ...REMEMBER

I've been researching my family history for over thirty years. Along this genealogy journey I have been supported by hundreds of books, many of which I have listed on my Librarything page. 

During the 2021 #AtoZChallenge I will be writing about two of my passions, books and family history. I'll be taking a trip down memory lane and revisiting some of those books that have enriched my genealogy experience.


In the 20th century several of the people in my family tree and many Australian men bore arms for Australia in the Two World Wars. On ANZAC Day, Remembrance Day and other times when we individually reflect on these selfless, brave men and women we say "We Will Remember them".

Whenever I read a work of fiction or non-fiction set in or about those conflicts I remember them and the challenges they faced.

I record most of my reading in my Librarything account, for the past 15 years or so I have given a star rating to books read. I don't ever give a 5/5 rating for a book as I think there is always room for improvement. Very few works get a 4 1/2 from me while I give a 4 to those that have struck a chord.

For this post I am sharing a list of the books related to these conflicts that I have rated as 4 stars or above. This list includes, fiction, non-fiction and children's titles. Sorry this is such a long list - I didn't realise how many good books I have read.

****1/2








****
































I'm adding a few non-fiction that didn't quite get 4 stars.








3 comments:

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

Lots there for my want to read list though I’ve read others. I will give 5 when it really speaks to me. Yes always room for improvement but nothing’s perfect.

Alex Daw said...

So many books I am ashamed to say I haven't read so thanks for increasing my TBR pile - not! I'll tell you the other book that really struck a chord with me was Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

Back again. I must admit I favour non-fiction for war and military but fiction can reveal emotional nuances. I’ve read some about POWs where the writing has been not great but the story itself very revealing. I really need to work on my LibraryThing catalogue but don’t feel like adding my hundreds+ ebooks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...