Tuesday, April 6, 2021

E is for ...Esther : the extraordinary true story of the First Fleet girl who became first lady of the colony

 I've been researching my family history for over thirty years. Along this genealogy journey I have been supported by hundreds of books, many of which I have listed on my Librarything page. 

During the 2021 #AtoZChallenge I will be writing about two of my passions, books and family history. I'll be taking a trip down memory lane and revisiting some of those books that have enriched my genealogy experience.


Sometimes I read fiction to learn about the history and environment of the times in my ancestors lived. While the works in this genre of fiction based on fact may not be 100% accurate, if the author has researched her topic assiduously, they give one an insight into ancestors' lives and times. I like the sugarcoating this genre gives to learning history.

Ten of my direct ancestors including several women landed in Sydney Cove as convicts so I am most interested in reading works set in the early 19th century in New South Wales. 

In 2019 I attended a lecture by Jessica North at Toronto Library where she spoke about her writing and research for the book Esther : the extraordinary true story of the First Fleet girl who became first lady of the colony Jessica had consulted hundreds of diaries, letters, books, records, maps and journals to produce this her first novel. 

I borrowed the ebook version of this book from another local library. I enjoyed this book which told the story of a strong woman and expanded my understanding of the early years in the colony in Sydney, it was well written and very easy to read.


5 comments:

Jennifer Jones said...

Thanks for this Jill. Sounds like something I’d love. Putting it on my list

crgalvin said...

Exactly the kind of fiction I like, thanks for the recommendation.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

I’ll add it to my reading list.

Anne Young said...

Fascinating. I checked she had a Wikitree profile https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Abrahams-190 . This blogging challenge I am making sure the people I write about have a Wikitree profile. I am adding people to Wikitree as I blog about them in an effort to make sure the genealogy is available to all rather than on my tree at ancestry.com. It is very slow progress but I was inspired by Kitty Cooper writing at https://blog.kittycooper.com/2019/04/preserving-your-family-history-on-a-world-tree/ and http://blog.kittycooper.com/2014/06/the-advantages-of-working-with-a-one-world-tree/
I am a great fan of collaboration and like the idea that after I am "dead and gone your research will live on"

GeniAus said...

Great idea Anne, I had an affair with Wikitree a while ago but now I tend to add to the Familysearch Tree.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...