Tuesday, April 20, 2021

2021 #AtoZChallenge Q is for ...Questions

  I've been researching my family history for over thirty years. Along this genealogy journey I have been supported by hundreds of books, many of which I have listed on my Librarything page. 

During the 2021 #AtoZChallenge I will be writing about two of my passions, books and family history. I'll be taking a trip down memory lane and revisiting some of those books that have enriched my genealogy experience.



Where do you go if you need an answer to a question?
These books from my bookshelf
have provided some answers

Do you go to Google for a quick fix or do you seek your answer in a Book? Might I humbly suggest that, when researching your ancestors, it is worth the time and effort to seek out a book that has been well-researched, properly referenced and probably written by an expert in the subject of the work.

As has been demonstrated in the previous sixteen posts in this series there are many types of book that will assist you on your geneajourney. 

A well-stocked bookshelf will be provide you with a key to find many answers but, as our funds aren't limitless, we may need to  turn to books in libraries, archives and societies for our answers.

You can use the many online catalogues on the internet to find the right book that will answer your question.

As a starter you might consider:




If you can't locate something at these megasites then seek out the catalogues of  individual libraries.


5 comments:

Jennifer Jones said...

I have four of those books from your pile Jill. I’d love to add Divorced Beheaded Died. Great title

Molly's Canopy said...

Hooray for the Internet Archive! I have actually been able to reduce my collection of physical books because I can always consult the digital version there. And their bookmarking is invaluable, too. https://mollyscanopy.com/2021/04/questioning-everything-atozchallenge/

GeniAus said...

Thanks for visiting my genimates.

Jennifer - That little book is a history of all the rulers of England from earliest times, I need to refer to it often.

Molly - I'll second your Hooray, one of the best resources around.

Alex Daw said...

I love recommending World Cat to people. Their eyes just about pop out of their heads. You mean I can search catalogues of libraries from all over the world ????

J Lenni Dorner said...

Native American ancestry is complex, especially among tribes that use different naming rules and rituals than the colonists. Plus, there was a lot of destruction of any records that showed how many of certain tribes existed before the genocide. So there's that.


J Lenni Dorner~ Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, Reference& Speculative Fiction Author

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...