Saturday, April 3, 2021

C is for...Camden: Farm and Village Life in Early New South Wales

 I've been researching my family history for over thirty years. Along this genealogy journey I have been supported by hundreds of books, many of which I have listed on my Librarything page. 

During the 2021 #AtoZChallenge I will be writing about two of my passions, books and family history. I'll be taking a trip down memory lane and revisiting some of those books that have enriched my genealogy experience.



In the days before Trove I purchased my copy of this book which I read and enjoyed. I found several mentions of my Curry family and their connections plus a reference to an article in The Sydney Morning Herald in which Patrick was interviewed by Caroline Chisholm. From this article I was able to find further information in Jerrold's Papers

With nearly 70 pages of notes, a bibliography and index this work provides a great springboard to research in the Camden area.

You can find this book on the shelves of many libraries here, https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/18852594. I found that copies of the second edition of this work are available here https://scholarly.info/book/camden-farm-and-village-life-in-early-nsw/

6 comments:

Dara said...

I’d love to have ancestors mentioned in books. Finding them must provide a great buzz.

GenieJen said...

What a great find that book was. Like Alex I would love to find my family in a book. Certainly research is easier if the family was in one of our country areas as they are bound to be mentioned in the local newspapers. Thank God for Trove!

GeniAus said...

It was quite a thrill as most of my ancestors are ordinary folk.

Anne Young said...

I have Camden on my shelves although none of my forebears are from there. It is a great example of how to write about a small community and the many resources there are.

Alex Daw said...

That sounds like a great book Jill. I've been to Camden Park a few times in my youth. Always a lovely place to visit. I hadn't heard of Jerrold's Papers before. I'm going to see if I can borrow the Camden book from the State Library here in Queensland. A good excuse to get back there and visit. Haven't been for yonks.

GeniAus said...

Alex, One can access Jerrold's Papers via one of the online subs at the NLA.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...