Thursday, April 29, 2021

2021 #AtoZChallenge Y is for ...Your ancestors in their social context

  I've been researching my family history for over thirty years. Along this genealogy journey I have been supported by hundreds of books, many of which I have listed on my Librarything page. 

During the 2021 #AtoZChallenge I will be writing about two of my passions, books and family history. I'll be taking a trip down memory lane and revisiting some of those books that have enriched my genealogy experience.


I must admit that I haven't picked up, Your ancestors in their social context : proceedings of the 13th Australasian Congress on Genealogy and Heraldry, Adelaide 2012, for around nine years.


This 590 page paperback contains the papers from the AFFHO Congress, the first I attended, in Adelaide in 2012. It is an example of a genre that today is often delivered as a .pdf download online or on a CD or USB drive. 

This particular publication is more useful than some similar works as it has a decent index. As many of the articles are well referenced it provides a good springboard to further reading on the topics covered. While some of the articles are dated, especially those referring to technology,  there are many that are still relevant to today's researchers. 

Highlighting this resource has reminded me that the collection of Conference Proceedings I have on my shelves or hard drive could  have answers to some of the questions for which I need answers. I must remember to refer to them occasionally!

4 comments:

Alex Daw said...

I agree Jill. Conference papers have a wealth of information in them and sit on my bookshelves too. Must invent second time dimension to get all this reading done ;)

Molly's Canopy said...

This book title is excellent, and applies to the telling of our ancestral stories. Without context, our ancestors tales would be dry indeed. https://mollyscanopy.com/2021/04/youth-job-at-the-altamont-fair-atozchallenge/#comments

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

For my first Congress in 1994, the proceedings were photocopies or similar. However there was and still gold dust...the first I learned about the emigrants from Dorfprozelten. However I agree it’s all too easy to forget we have those USBs etc. I did like a book format as you are reminded it’s there even though I understand the economies of digital.

GeniAus said...

You've given me an idea Pauleen. I'll copy the digital proceedings I have onto the tablet I have dedicated for reading.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...