Thursday, April 1, 2021

A is for ... AA 2019 Great Britain and Ireland

 I've been researching my family history for over thirty years. Along this genealogy journey I have been supported by hundreds of books, many of which I have listed on my Librarything page. 

During the 2021 #AtoZChallenge I will be writing about two of my passions, books and family history. I'll be taking a trip down memory lane and revisiting some of those books that have enriched my genealogy experience.


Mr GeniAus and I indulge in a lot of geneajourneys. While we have both European and US GPS navigation devices (SatNavs) that help us in getting from point to point we appreciate being able to put places into the broader context that printed maps allow. 

When planning a geneajourney we rely on maps to organise our itineraries. We use online maps to plan but when we hit the road we like to follow a paper map. We find Road Atlases that are easier to handle than a large map are perfect for this purpose, the maps in an atlas also provide a lot of detail. Over the years we have purchased several of these books for the UK, Europe and the US which, although large but light, fit nicely into the top of a suitcase. Every few years we update to a new edition.  



We purchased our latest AA 2019 Great Britain and Ireland from Aldi for just a couple of pounds as we were setting out on a trip around Sussex and Kent in mid 2019, it also accompanied us on a journey around Ireland and a second trip to the UK in September 2019. Sadly due to Covid19 our atlas didn't have an excursion in 2020 and may not leave Australia until 2022.

14 comments:

Jennifer Jones said...

Google is great Jill, but I do love a paper map in a road trip. Good luck for AtoZ. First post down.

Rosemary said...

My first thought was American Airlines flight 2019.

crgalvin said...

I’m sure there will be many titles I’ll want by the end of the month probably not this one. Having said that on our last trip to UK Google maps did send us down some very suspect byways.

JEN Garrett said...

I prefer paper when on route, too, though leaving my home country is still a pipe dream for me. It makes my hubby annoyed when I print out the maps so I don't have to worry about that dreaded 'recalculating' or when the phone thinks I've turned and tries to get me back on the road I haven't left.

Iain Kelly said...

I do love the old AA map! Unfortunately, I have succumbed to using Google on my phone - maybe I should get back to the old ways, much more fun!!
https://iainkellywriting.com/2021/04/01/the-state-trilogy-a-z-guide-a/

GeniAus said...

Thanks all for dropping by. I'll be calling in and saying g'day on your blogs but, with an Easter family invasion imminent it may take me a few days to get there

Anne Young said...

We had a back up paper map on our last trip, a better perspective from paper though Google seems to be good for navigating.

Molly of Molly's Canopy said...

Here, here -- I am also a fan of paper maps in a pocket folder. They are indispensable for rural trips and cemetery visits where WiFi can be dodgy. Plus you can mark them up, make notes, etc. during the planning process and while you are on the road. Good luck with A to Z -- looking forward to your posts even as I work frantically to write mine :-)

ScotSue said...

My father was a member of the AA and we always had a copy of the Road Atlas in the car. I am old enough here in the UK to remember the days when the AA men in their yellow and black uniforms patrolled the roads on a motor cycle. They always saluted cars who displayed the AA badge on their bonnet, and as children we enjoyed saluting back. I was given the copy of an old atlas and marked up in red pen roads we had travelled on.

Bobbie Edes said...

Jill, like you I also purchase a fresh copy of the AA road map each time I visit the UK, and use this as well as my own SatNav which I take with me. I have the phone apps but much prefer the map for general touring and SatNav for finding those relatives/ancestors homes.
Bobbie

Alex Daw said...

I have an AA Guide to London on my bookshelf which belonged to my father. He must have bought it when we lived in the UK when I was a child. Dated 1963. It is beautifully illustrated and has maps of the Home Counties. I do love a good map. All the best for your challenge dear Jill and enjoy Easter with your family.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

I’ve travelled with these over the years too but I always take a topographical map especially from earlier years...very helpful.

GenieJen said...

Your post brought back memories of stashing the AA guide on our 1st trip to England and I've kept pages in my genealogy files with the relevant families in the area. Looking forward to following your A-Z this month..

GeniAus said...

we need to keep the old and embrace the new.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...