Friday, April 30, 2021

2021 #AtoZChallenge Z is for ...Zap the Grandma Gap

  I've been researching my family history for over thirty years. Along this genealogy journey I have been supported by hundreds of books, many of which I have listed on my Librarything page. 

During the 2021 #AtoZChallenge I will be writing about two of my passions, books and family history. I'll be taking a trip down memory lane and revisiting some of those books that have enriched my genealogy experience.



This 190 page paperback contains many ideas for adults to enthuse younger family members about their family history and also advice for the oldies on how to preserve their family history and artifacts. Although it has much good advice I found the design and presentation too busy and the lack of an index a challenge. The cover image of the Grandma superhero just doesn't gel with me.

On this important topic I much prefer Janet Few's Harnessing the Facebook generation ideas for involving young people in family history and heritage, but, this Zappy book fulfilled my requirement for a Z title. 

We all need to think about what will happen to our precious research when we turn up our toes, these two books may just provide the bait that will hook a younger family member. 

5 comments:

crgalvin said...

Zero left to say really but I've enjoyed your looking back over such a variety of books. Just picked up what looks like it could be an interesting read today at the local annual Bookfest. "The convict and the soldier" by John P F Lynch, looks like it had been remaindered, several brand new copies. Time to return to reading and finally I might look into my DNA contacts.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

I have the book too and admit it doesn’t quite do it for me though I suspect mine are more interested in their own passions of dance, basketball, AFL and hockey. Maybe one day.

Molly's Canopy said...

Congrats on finishing the A to Z Challenge with a great letter Z entry. I am pleased to see these two titles, because this is the challenge before us. Will have to check them out. https://mollyscanopy.com/2021/04/zip-code-scares-and-zap-power-outage-atozchallenge/

Dara said...

Well done on completing the challenge, Jill. Sadly, I've no descendants to leave my research to - maybe one of my two nephews will be interested one day.

GeniAus said...

Thnks to you all, I have enjoyed being on the AtoZ journey with you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...