Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Trove Tuesday - Denis the Undertaker

I knew that my Tierney ancestors lived in Mackay Street, Dungog up until the 1830's when my Great-Grandmother, Mary Tierney (nee Kealy) died but I am not sure when they first lived on the site.

My Troveing this morning took me to the map below that indicated that number 21, in Mackay Street on the map, was the site of "Tierney, undertaker etc." I knew that my Great-Great-Grandfather, Denis Tierney as wel as being a carpenter and wheelwright acted as an undertaker, so can presume that the Tierneys were in Mackay Street from at least 1867. I have visited this site to photograph the Tierney home that is still standing.


1934 'LOOKING BACK INTO THE PAST DUNGOG FROM 1855 TO 1867', Dungog Chronicle : Durham and Gloucester Advertiser (NSW : 1894 - 1954), 17 July, p. 4. , viewed 04 Feb 2020, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article141475471

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...