Monday, October 8, 2018

Dropping in on Emily

I started writing this blog post on my smartphone last Monday when we were on a roadtrip in country NSW. I had intended tidying it up on my laptop before posting that evening but I forgot to pack my computer. As I found the post difficult to tart up on my phone I put it aside until we returned home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr GeniAus and I are currently motoring south along the motorway and I am attempting to draft a blog post on my phone.

On the way to our  destination we stopped into Liverpool General Cemetery and Crematorium to visit the grave of Emily Ball nee Royds. Mr GeniAus' Great-Grandmother. A few years ago when we first located her grave we discovered that it was unmarked. We discussed this and decided that we would like to place a memorial on the plot.



It took us a while but around 2016 we approached the cemetery authorities asking for permission. We submitted copies of relevant certificates that showed Robert's relationship to Emily. The cemetery replied that we needed the approval of the plot's owner  (who happened to be buried a couple of rows from Emily). We did find as living descendant of the plot owner who had no objection. We then contacted a monumental mason who was happy to undertake the work for us.

After quite a bit of deliberation we chose a simple plaque and appropriate wording. Around a year ago the monumental mason let us know that the plaque had been placed on Emily's plot.



Since moving house we haven't had an opportunity to visit the cemetery and inspect the plaque. Today as we were motoring south we took a small detour and dropped in on Emily. On seeing the plaque that mentioned birth and death dates, maiden name and place of birth I commented that it looked like a genealogist had input into the information shared on the plaque. Hopefully, in the future, it may help some other genies who are connected to Emily.

While at the Cemetery I also took a couple of dozen photos and uploaded them to BillionGraves. I was on a tight time schedule or I would have added more.





5 comments:

Jenny Mackay said...

We visited graves of our ancestors with our grand children last week and I noticed none had the maiden name of the female. Great to see,you've done that for further generations. Something for me to think about in the future.

GeniAus said...

It's important for the future Jenny as cemetery records including headstones are fantastic resources for gamily history.

GenieJen said...

What a thoughtful idea. I'm sure it will be appreciated by future generations. I noticed in Ireland that many graves of women that their maiden name is usually included something I've not seen here.

GeniAus said...

GJ I cannot remember how much the mason charged but there were no extra costs from the cemetery.

Crissouli said...

I have included your blog in INTERESTING BLOGS in FRIDAY FOSSICKING at
https://thatmomentintime-crissouli.blogspot.com/2018/10/friday-fossicking-12th-oct-2018.html
Thank you, Chris

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...