Thursday, June 2, 2011

Speedos - Carnival of Genealogy Edition 106 - Fourth Annual Swimsuit Edition

The latest and greatest gear for budding Olympians in 1961 were Speedo swimsuits. Made of nylon these lightweight and quick dry costumes did not weigh swimmers down in the water like earlier models.

Although we resembled drowned rats my best friend Lee and I thought we were pretty cool as we posed in our new Speedos at a family picinic at Carss Park on the October long weekend in 1961.


Lee and Geniaus - Carss Park October 1961
This post was prepared for The Carnival of Genealogy Edition 106 - Fourth Annual Swimsuit Edition

7 comments:

Joan Miller (Luxegen) said...

Great picture! Brave too...I doubt I'll ever share a swimsuit pic even from my childhood !

GeniAus said...

Joan, At least I could see my toes back then.

Unknown said...

Your photo brings back great memories of my love for swimming (thought I could be Dawn Fraser) and my pair of red speedos. Thanks.

Jasia said...

We don't see many Speedos in the COG so this is a real treat. Thanks for sharing!

Brett Payne said...

Yes, I wondered how long it was going to take for us to see some Speedos too. Thanks for sharing this moment.

Kristin said...

You two look very cool. I hope you won many races in your speedos ;-)

Nancy said...

Ah, not like drowned rats at all. Just like girls who have just finished having a great swim. I find it a very touching photograph. Thanks for sharing it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...