Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Carol Preaches Active Voice

Carol busily signing bookss
If you want to go on a roller coaster ride and learn something at the same time Carol Baxter is the girl for you. A very lively presenter, Carol , who spoke at a hundred miles a minute, extolled the virtues of using active voice when "Writing Interesting Family Histories".

Around 40 people listened intently as the energetic Carol offered writing tips at Ku-ring-gai Historical Society's Family  History Group event yesterday. At $5 per head, including morning tea this event that was open to the public was great value.  Those who were cashed up could also purchase a copy of  Carol's book, "Writing Interesting Family Histories"  for $20. However, having read the book last night, I do not think it adds much to the copious notes I took in Carol's fast-paced talk.

The book would be a worthwhile purchase for anyone who cannot attend one of Carol's talks but her enthusiasm, personality, rich vocabulary and digressions from her printed notes made this a very enjoyable learning activity.

Among the things I must remember before I set fingers on the keyboard are to :

  • Release my grip on old habits and release my creative writing spirit (if I can find one)
  • Remember that facts are critically important 
  • Use evocative language
  • Realise that dates are not absolute! They are relative to the calendar being used at time
  • Select a structure and stick to it
  • Communicate perspective through careful choice of words
  • Remember Oomph in writing is carried by verbs
  • Use active rather than passive voice - make the doer do it 
  • Ground my writing in historical context
  • Grab my readers with my first sentence
  • Think about what my ancestors saw, heard, felt, smelled, tasted, and emotionally experienced 
  • Recraft my writing over and over and over

7 comments:

Greta Koehl said...

Oh, I hate to make a negative comment, but - I strongly disagree about the passive voice. Passive is derived from the active and should not be as common, but it is legitimate and has valid uses. Moreover, as a translator of many years, I have seen many translations mangled because people slavishly followed this "rule." The passive voice has a stylistic role to play in literature (sometimes you want an impersonal form - something is done to someone or something, but you don't want to name the actors) and it helps to maintain the theme-rheme narrative flow. Some examples:

Rome wasn't built in a day.

He was thrown from his motorcycle while traveling at high speed.

Greta Koehl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Greta Koehl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Greta Koehl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Greta Koehl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GeniAus said...

Greta,

That's not a negative comment.

It's an opinion and a valid one at that. I am always thrilled when someone makes a comment on my blog. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts.

Greta Koehl said...

And now I am going to post an apology for my comment having shown up five times! Honestly, I only pushed the button once - but it did take about a minute and half to post it. BTW, I love your blog and promise to comment on something that doesn't make me sound like the grammar police!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...