Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Trove Tuesday - Leaving Certificate Success

My Dad's family were poor farming folk in Canowindra, NSW. Dad left school when he was 14 to help his father on the family farm. I think that Dad was pleased when he was able to enlist for World War 11 as then he had an easier life with better pay than he had on the farm.

My Dad always valued education and was determined that I would complete my secondary education and go on to tertiary study. He was very proud when I got a couple of degrees under my belt.

Dad was very proud of his younger brother, Tom, who was able to stay on at school and complete his secondary education. We believe that Tom was the first student at St Edward's School in Canowindra to gain his Leaving Certificate. I was talking with Tom's daughter about his education last week and was prompted to see if I could find out if his results had been published.

Trove came to the party again with this snippet.


1939 '[No heading].', The Catholic Press (NSW : 1895 - 1942), 19 January, p. 19, viewed 30 December, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page11681897

1 comment:

Rosemary said...

I found mention of Dad's accounting diploma results in the West Australian. Like many men of his generation he went to night school to gain credentials that would help with promotions.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...