Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Booty

Last week I blogged about my visit to Gould Genealogy's shop which I described as an Aladdin's Cave.

Are you wondering if I came away with any booty? I did but I had to exercise restraint as Mr GeniAus was watching over my shoulder and wondering why I needed any more genealogy books.

I came away with three titles. Why did I choose them?

GeniAus' Booty
Tracing your Irish Family History on the Internet is by Chris Paton. I have a couple of his other titles on Scottish research and I have found them easy to read and useful resources. I need all the help I can get with my Irish side so hope that this will act as a little sledgehammer for me.

I bought How do I prove it? by Dr Penelope Christensen because I wanted a book about genealogical proof that was not from the US. I am not convinced about the emphasis on proof in American books and wanted to see what someone with an English background had to say on the matter. Dr Christensen is an English expert who was born and lived in England before emigrating to Canada.

Your family history archives; a brief introduction is by my good mate, Shauna Hicks. With her background as an archivist Shauna is well qualified to write this booklet.

When I find time to do more than flip through these books I may let you know how I found them.

5 comments:

Maureen said...

The Penelope Christensen book sounds appealing. I will be interested to hear your opinions about it.

GeniAus said...

I might bring it on the cruise for the Geneareaders circle. Tat will force me to read it.

Shelley Crawford said...

They all sound good. I'll be interested to hear what you think of them. My Irish lines have definitely been neglected compared to my other branches.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

I'm interested in the proof book too...if you bring it on the cruise Goulds might get more orders.

Unknown said...

I'm also interested in the proof book. The US is very focused on proof, & I completely get every step in the GPS & pretty much agree with it, but I find it hard to wrap my head around writing proof statements, especially without many examples out there. It would be good to compare the US thoughts on proof to other countries & particularly to Australia. Perhaps a discussion on proof would be good for a future hangout?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...