Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Permanent Email Addresses - Essential for Genealogy Connections

Where are you Bill Blowes, Don Magick, Val Dumbrell, Keith Colbran, Leonnie Elwell, Ken Edmondson, Glenn Martin?

I just sent out a group catchup email to some of those people with whom I have shared information over the last few years. Six out of the fity or so messages bounced back. These people have probably changed their web service provider and email address but haven't been able to let all of their contacts know of the change.

I previously blogged about Static email addresses in November 2008. In the world of genealogy where one posts interests on mailing lists, with user groups and on websites it is advisable to have a permanent address that will not change. Sometimes it might be four or five years from the date of posting a message somewhere until one gets a response.

It is very easy to set up a permanent email address with services such as Gmail, Yahoo or Hotmail that is not tied to one service provider. If you don't want to miss out on valuable connections get one now.

3 comments:

Judy Webster said...

I agree. One person contacted me twelve years after I listed my interests! Whenever I find a new Distant Relative, I ask him/her for a postal address too.

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

Several years ago I joined the email forwarding service through my husband's alumni association. Now, no matter what email service I use, it is forwarded to me via this permanant address. It was free, too, and it includes the best Spam blocker I've ever seen (It should be good, he went to MIT!).

GENEALOGY INTRODUCTION said...

Hello there,

Thanks for this great tip. All i need now in a permanent email ad to get rid of spams and other unnecessary subscription.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...