Thursday, January 12, 2017

50 blogs you need to read - the Stayers

Way back in Mid 2013 I compiled this list for Inside History Magazine.

I saw someone recommend the list in a blog post recently and wondered how the blogs were progressing. As blogs come and go I thought it would be a good exercise to see which blogs are still going strong at the same URLs. As I would expect good blogs to publish a post every month or so I am omitting blogs that haven't posted in the last eight weeks (a couple just made it).

I would not necessarily include all of these blogs on a listing today but I congratulate those 33 stayers below that have lasted the distance.

1. Archives Outside, State Records NSW, archivesoutside.records.nsw.gov.au
2. Australian War Memorial, www.awm.gov.au/blog
3. Dictionary of Sydney, trust.dictionaryofsydney.org/category/blog
4. John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland, blogs.slq.qld.gov.au/jol
5. Kintalk, Auckland City Libraries, kintalkfamilyhistory.blogspot.com
6. Manly Families, Manly Library, manlyfamilies.blogspot.com
7. Moonee Valley Family and Local History, mooneevalleyfamilylocalhistory.blogspot.com.au
9. Public Record Office Victoria, prov.vic.gov.au/publications/blog
11. The National Archives, blog.nationalarchives.gov.uk
14. FamilySearch, familysearch.org/blog
15. findmypast.com, blog.findmypast.com
16. Geneanet Genealogy Blog, genealogyblog.geneanet.org
17. Gould Genealogy and History News, www.gouldgenealogy.com
18. Legacy Family Tree, news.legacyfamilytree.com
19. MyHeritage Blog, blog.myheritage.com
21. Local History Newslink, Maitland NSW, localhistorynews.blogspot.com
22. The Empire Called and I Answered, empirecall.blogspot.com
23. Genealogy World, Genealogical Society of Victoria, genealogyworld.blogspot.com.au
25. Anglo-Celtic Connections, anglo-celtic-connections.blogspot.com
28. Australian Genealogy Journeys, ausgenjourneys.blogspot.com
29. Backtracking, boobookbacktracks.blogspot.com.au
31. Dear Myrtle, blog.dearmyrtle.com
32. Family History Across the Seas, cassmob.wordpress.com
33. Family History Fun, scotsue-familyhistoryfun.blogspot.com
35. Genealogy’s Star, genealogysstar.blogspot.com
36. Geniaus, geniaus.blogspot.com 
39. Lonetester HQ, lonetester.com
43. Stumbling Through the Past, stumblingpast.wordpress.com
44. Western District Families, mywdfamilies.wordpress.com
45. British Genes, britishgenes.blogspot.com
46. Diary of an Australian Genealogist, diaryofanaustraliangenealogist.blogspot.com
47. Geneabloggers, geneabloggers.com
48. Irish Genealogy News, irish-genealogy-news.blogspot.com
Maybe it's time for Inside History Magazine to repeat this exercise.

7 comments:

Alona Tester said...

That's still a good list, and well done to all who manage to blog regularly!

Judy Webster said...

Thanks for this list, Jill. With the wisdom of hindsight, perhaps I should have created one genealogy blog instead of six! But when I did a survey initially, many of my readers said they were only interested in posts about a specific geographical area.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

I've been so haphazard lately so I reckon I just squeaked in.

ScotSue said...

Thank you, Jill, for the mention - much appreciated. Blogging continues to be one of my main activities, though my attention is split somewhat as i am now managing and writing a blog for my local history society as well.

Bribie Family History Association said...

The years have gone so quickly thanks for the update Jill

Yvonne said...

Thank you for including my blog in the list Jill. Over the last year I have found it tricky to maintain blogging, do my consulting work and work intensively on my book. However, I have lots of ideas for history posts and a list of books to review so I expect that this year I will write more posts than last year.

You said there were "33 stayers" but your list has 48 blogs. Did you add some new blogs on the list to replace blogs that had drifted away?

GeniAus said...

The numbers are the original Inside History numbers. On this latest list tbere are a few gaps. Sorry for co fusion.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...