Saturday, April 30, 2016

A Flea in my Ear

After reading Jennifer Jones' #AtoZChallenge blog post about Yarrawonga the other day I started singing the chorus of a song that I learnt over 40 years ago and I just couldn't get it out of my head, it became an annoying flea in my ear.

Mr Google helped me find the lyrics for "I'm going back again to Yarrawonga" here, and what I discovered was that I only knew the chorus. The original words and music can be seen here in Trove on the National Library of Australia website.

The song by Neil McBeath, a corporal in the AIF in WWI told the story of a Digger who after spending time at the front was returned to Australia. After reading the lyrics I thought it appropriate to bring it to your attention in this ANZAC week.

An early version of the song can be heard by following a link on this page: http://alldownunder.com/australian-music-songs/back-to-yarrawonga.htm

Slim Dusty used perform the chorus of this song but I much prefer the earlier recording.


4 comments:

Anne Young said...

My husband Greg occasionally warbles this song :)

Maria said...

Another great way to remember our relatives - singing songs from the past. Also, Jill, thanks for sharing the http://alldownunder.com/ site. Wonderful idea for a blogpost.

Jennifer Jones said...

Great post Jill. Wish I had thought of including the song.

GeniAus said...

Thanks Maria and Jennifer for the comments and thanks for including Jennifer and me on your latest Genies Downunder podcast

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...