Friday, July 26, 2013

Reminiscing - New Shoes

A little rhyme from my childhood just came into my head.

New shoes, new shoes,
Red and pink and blue shoes,
Tell me which would you choose
If they let us buy.

And why, you ask, was I thinking about shoe selection today?
Because a little two year old lady in my life had her wish for a pair of sparkly shoes granted.
I put some of those words into Google to see if I could find the poem online and I discovered that I only knew the first verse of the poem by Frida Wolfe that I found at http://www.scrapbook.com/poems/doc/629/354.html


"Choosing Shoes"

by Frida Wolfe
New shoes, new shoes,
Red and pink and blue shoes.
Tell me, what would you choose,
If they'd let us buy?
Buckle shoes, bow shoes,
Pretty pointy-toe shoes,
Strappy, cappy low shoes;
Let's have some to try.
Bright shoes, white shoes,
Dandy-dance-by-night shoes,
Perhaps-a-little-tight shoes,
Like some? So would I.
BUT
Flat shoes, fat shoes,
Stump-along-like-that shoes,
Wipe-them-on-the-mat shoes,
That's the sort they'll buy.

9 comments:

Celia Lewis said...

Oh I love this, Jill! I have so many memories of new shoes... not only my own, but my kids' shoes, and now the grandkids' shoes! We all love shoes, eh?!

Kristin said...

I like the poem and the shoes! I would love a pair of shoes like those.

Rosemary said...

I remember that poem and clumping up and down the street to the last verse.

Julie Goucher said...

Lovely story & poem. This is an ideal post for the book of me. Are you joining Jill?

GeniAus said...

Not sure that I have the stamina, Julie. Depends on whether I'm travelling or not.

GeniAus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tonia said...

This is cool!

Unknown said...

Usually, I didn’t like poems at all. Even I used not to read the poems in my school standards because I did not understand them properly. But this post has made me to like poems very much and it has given a value of the poems. Thank you for this great post. I really reminded my childhood days.

ur said...

Loved this poem...and the old memories of shoes..

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...