Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hallowe'en Downunder

Dishing lollies out to grandchildren in 2011
I am a Bah Humbug when it comes to Hallowe'en and the practice of Trick or Treating that has crossed the Pacific in recent years; the Australian fascination with Trick or Treating only seems to have appeared this century. I feel that we have enough Australian traditions that we don't need to import any more, especially those that involve hastening the ruin of kids' teeth and adding extra grams to their chubby little bodies.

But when it comes to the grandchildren...... there are just some things one has to do.

Hallowe'en 2011 saw me donning my academic gown and a witches hat, buying a cache of sweets and waiting for the doorbell to ring. As our driveway is a hundred metres long children do not randomly call at our place so I knew who it would be when the doorbell rang.

I answered in my best witch's voice and frightened my poor two year old grand-daughter; her five year old brother thought it quite funny. As can be seen from the photo above the poor little one was still not sure of herself when we posed for a photo after I distributed the lollies.

I won't be available for the event this year as I will be in Valencia,Spain. I wonder if they celebrate Hallowe'en there?

2 comments:

Kerryn Taylor said...

gorgeous photo ... did the poor little get over it?

Anonymous said...

Hey, I think your website mіght bе
having broωser сompatіbility issues.
When I loоk at your website in Firefox,
it lοοks fine but whеn opening in Internet Explоrеr, it
hаs some ovегlарping. I just ωanted tο
give you a quick hеads uρ! Other then that, amazing blog!
Check out my blog post : chubby

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...