Wednesday, July 4, 2012

It's my Plusiversary

I missed my Plusiversary; yesterday was the first anniversary of my membership of Google+.

At that time I wrote:  "Thanks to Banai Feldstein, of The Ginger Jewish Genealogist, I received an invitation to Google+. Banai  gave her insights on the application in a post, Google+ – My First Thoughts, a couple of days ago. 

After being on the Google+ site for just an hour I can report that this old girl likes the interface and the ability to categorize people into 'circles' and easily communicate with one, all or some of one's groups. Setting up my profile and applying privacy settings was easy, I appreciated being able to have a preview of my public profile so that I knew what was in the public domain. 

I am anticipating that I will use this tool for genealogy and have created a genealogy circle for this purpose. At the moment I have found a few genealogists from the US and four from Australia to add to the circle. I think that I have invited a couple of other genies but am not sure if I have the process right. I have also created a circle for my contacts from the world of education so that I can keep up with developments in ICT.

Until I get a few more connections I really don't know how I'll use Google+ but I look forward to further exploring its possibilities."


Although I regularly read reports that Google+ is floundering I still love the tool. I now have 604 people in my circles, 486 of whom are genealogists. Not many of these appear to be active users but they could be lurkers; I hope they are as Google+ is a wonderful resource for genealogists. 

I still use Twitter for genealogy especially when tweeting from an event. I use Google+ to announce my blog posts, share details of resources I come across and comment on issues under discussion. I am looking forward to using the Events feature that was released this week.

I wonder what Google+ has in store for us in the next twelve months?

2 comments:

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

As always an early uptaker of technology Jill :-). I too like Google+ though I don't use it nearly enough or as effectively as I could.

Celia Lewis said...

Happy Plusiversary, Jill! Always a pleasure to read your musings on your various blogs!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...