Sunday, February 8, 2015

Changes at the Family History Library

I took myself on an orientation tour visit to Family History Library in Salt Lake City today to familiarise myself for my research days prior to Rootstech this week.

I was expecting to see some great changes since my last visit in 2013 but they didn't seem to be as radical as I expected from reports I'd read. I noticed that the hours had changed slightly, the library isn't open until 9pm on a Saturday evening any more.

These banners were new

The new (not so new now) FamilySearch logo is displayed on the door

Australia gets its own heading on the directory. I'm pretty sure it was part of The British Isles last time I was here.
There still seems to be quite a few Australian books in the collection



The big timber desk on B2 has been replaced with a laminate structure and some easy chairs

There is a World War 1 display on the US floor and the books from there have moved downstairs

There is a new kids' activity area on the Main floor
I did spot the new photo scanning area on the Main Floor and note that the service desk had been replaced on another floor I visited.

The library still seemed to be alive with volunteers and there was a sign to let you know to direct one type of query to those wearing red lanyards and another to those with blue. I'll take proper notice when I need to ask a question.

The big change I noticed (and I didn't take a photo) was in the appearance of the welcome (first) screen of the patron computers. I found it quite confusing, with headings all in white. Some of these headings were hyperlinks and some were just plain text. I found this so frustrating as I had some futile attempts to follow them. I would like to see a proper menu on a well designed welcome page. Trying to find a list of and access the subscription databases available in the library took me way too many clicks. Perhaps I need some tuition! I think that it's a shame for such a superb facility to have such a daggy.

All in all I don't think the changes will have a great impact on my research days at the library next week.



3 comments:

Michelle Nichols said...

If you have time can you photograph the shelves in Australia section for 994.42 Hawkesbury books for me? Thanks Michelle Nichols

Michelle Nichols said...

If you have time can you photograph the shelves in Australia section for 994.42 Hawkesbury books for me? Thanks Michelle Nichols

GeniAus said...

Will do.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...