Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Trove Tuesday - On the Street Where I Live

I live on the main road that goes connects our village of Galston to the Sydney suburb of Hornsby. In 1895 Galston Road travelled through bush that was described as presenting "glimpses that remind one strongly of the road which lies between Lake Taupo and Napier in New Zealand".  I travel this picturesque route through what is now the Berowra Valley National Park when I need to access more services or catch a train to the city from Hornsby.

I found this description and drawings while playing in Trove today, one of the bridges in the illustration is still there today while the longer one has been replaced by a modern concrete structure.

Mr GeniAus' Great-great-grandmother, Margaret Gillespie (nee Munro), was an orchardist in the district in the 1890s. I wonder if she sent her fruit to the railway at Hornsby or Parramatta?




1895 'The Galston-Hornsby Road.', Australian Town and Country Journal (Sydney, NSW : 1870 - 1907), 2 March, p. 27, viewed 26 August, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article71226408

I am privileged to live in such a beautiful area which a local bumper sticker describes as "The Place where Country meets City".


The bridge today


2 comments:

jobee said...

I used to drive through there a lot living in the area & going to Galston High!!

Interesting that a big deal is made about the shorter distance the orchardists would have to drive to get to Hornsby instead of Parramatta... not much is said about the grade of the road or the multiple hairpin bends!!

Haz said...

Just catching up on some blogs , which have been good.Have another look at your side bar re pandora ,I think you meant to say this blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...