Saturday, August 9, 2014

Bookmarks

One of my fave Edtech people, Richard Byrne this week posted an article "Tools and Strategies for Sharing Bookmarks" in response to a reader "who was looking for an alternative to Delicious for bookmarking and sharing bookmarks. .

I was surprised to see that he omitted Evernote as a tool for this purpose. Several years ago when Delicious changed hands I turned to Evernote for saving my bookmarks. Since then Evernote has taken over as my virtual memory.

I am wondering aboout other genealogists' bookmarking practices and if those who are Evernote users use some other tools to save and share bookmarks.

Incidentally you can see my two shared Evernote notebooks (that include lots of bookmarks) here:

Genealogy: https://www.evernote.com/pub/geniaus/Genealogy
Technology: https://www.evernote.com/pub/geniaus/technology

12 comments:

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

On my blog post list in the next week is/was the benefits of Evernote!

Jane Taubman said...

I mostly use Evernote to keep all the details and context information for sites, but I also have a Mindmap with useful sites I have found which I use when running Research Courses.

If you are interested see:
http://bit.ly/fhresearchsites

Caitie G said...

I did not realise you could do that with Evernote! But then again, I'm not really up to date with everything that Evernote can do.

Hilary Gadsby said...

I will have a browse of these.
Looks like some useful links here.

Unknown said...

I'd be lost without Evernote. I use it for images, posts/articles I want to read again, lists, jotting down ideas, pulling information together (eg censuses 1841 - 91), reminders, keeping a note of references/sources, false leads (so I don't go down that road again)... and I'm sure I've only scratched the surface.

The tag facility could be easier to use, though.

I don't use it for bookmarking so much, though - Diigo is my chosen tool for that.

Looking forward to reading your post, Pauleen!

Jenny Mackay said...

I've tried all sorts of bookmarks, and Diigo being the latest however, I hardly use them. I make Google my friend and just type in what it is I'm looking for. I found I had so many bookmarks that I found it quicker to just Google them. :-)

Anne said...

Jane, that is a great mindmap. I love mindmaps, it gives a birds eye view of a lot of information at once, in a very ordered way.

You have some great links there, all beautifully and logically laid out in one place. Thanks for sharing.

Anne said...

I have tried a few ways to keep bookmarks, so mine are a bit scattered, I really need to re-organise them at some point.

At the moment I tend to keep them as shortcuts in folders in Windows explorer.

Chris said...

Thanks Jill - I have linked to your Evernote notebooks! They are great! I am using Evernote more and more every day!

Alex Daw said...

I second Anne's comment - Jane that is an amazing mind map. I also wonder whether people find wikis useful or not when doing group work. I'm starting a new project and wonder if this would help us to collate resources et al.

GeniAus said...

Just got to look at your Mindmap Jane. What super way to organise resources - especially for those who are visual learners.

GeniAus said...

BTW - I have saved that link in Evernote Jane.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...