Tuesday, August 26, 2014

#NFHM2014 Report Card

My #NFHM2014 Report Card




Shauna Hicks drew up this list of 31 Activities for researchers to attempt during National Family History Month. How did I score?







1 Visit the NFHM sponsors page and consider entering the prize draw for
individuals  www.familyhistorymonth.org.au/sponsors
I entered the competitions for individuals. Fingers crossed.

2 Apply for a National Library of Australia e-resources card and explore
genealogy resources online at home if you have not done so before
www.nla.gov.au/app/eresources
A great fan of The National Library I have had my card for some years now and regularly use it to access online resources.

3 Visit your State library and see what genealogical information they hold.
If distant, do a virtual visit. If you do not already have a State library card,
apply so that you can use their e-resources at home.
Also a fan of The State Library of NSW I have had a card for several years and used it during #NFHM2014 to access databases. Did you know that the Library has a family history blog at http://statelibrarynsw-familyhistory.tumblr.com/

4 Check out all the new resources on Ancestry www.ancestry.com.au and
enter the prize draw to win a year's subscription - major sponsor and
prize sponsor
I use Ancestry regularly. Having an annual sub is a luxury I appreciate as it allow me to access the resources wheneve. I'ver I wish. During #NFHM2014 I spent some time checking out the hints on the shaky leaves.

5 Have a look at some of the great genealogy cruises coming up with
Unlock the Past www.unlockthepastcruises.com - prize sponsor
Geneacruising is one of my favourite ways to learn. My schedulae for 2015 is pretty full but some of the 2016 cruises are tempting.

6 Visit your State Archives and see what resources they hold
and look at their fact sheets and guides. If distant, do a virtual visit.
This is another repository I love. I visited in person last month and have visited virtually several times this month.
Remember to check out the National Archives of Australia
www.naa.gov.au - NFHM launch sponsor
Several virtual visits undertaken this month.

7 Plan to attend a NFHM event in your area.  If none, suggest to your local
society or public library that they participate next year
www.familyhistorymonth.org.au
I've gone overboard in this area having presented and attended online and in person events.

8 Attend one of the online events in the NFHM web calendar
www.familyhistorymonth.org.au/online-event
Enjoyed hosting online events and have attended others. Love connecting and learning from the comfort of home.

9 Explore your surname in the MyHeritage Last Name Directory
http://lastnames.myheritage.com/last-names - major sponsor and prize
sponsor
Missed the boat on the free access period but hope to investigate later.

10 Visit your local genealogy/family history society and see what resources
they hold. If you are not a member, think about joining or perhaps join a
society near where your ancestors lived
Have visited two local societies I belong to this month.

11 Visit the NFHM Facebook page for updates throughout August
www.facebook.com/pages/Family-History-Month/208048719235109
Have you Liked our page yet?
Certainly have.

12 Did any family members fight in WW1? Participate in the National
Archives of Australia new beta website Discovering Anzacs
http://discoveringanzacs.naa.gov.au/home
Have visited but have not yet contributed any material. On the gunna list.

13 Download the free August genealogy ebook from genEbooks www.genebooks.com - prize sponsor
Thanks for the reminder. Downloading now, one never knows when it will come in handy. Need to add it to my Librarything so I know I have it.

14 Check out Twitter https://twitter.com to see the latest genealogy news -
use the hash tags #genealogy or #familyhistory and remember to also use
#NFHM2014
I've overdone this one as well.

15 Why not do a photo book on a person or family? Momento have some
great ideas  www.momento.com.au - prize sponsor
I fall down on this one, not organised enough for photobooks.

16 Attend/listen to a webinar or Google + hangout  - why not join Google +
and see what other Aussie genealogists are doing?
Hosted Hangouts, attended webinars - thanks for the freebie MyHeritage.

17 Early NSW ancestors? - have a look at the Biographical Database of
Australia www.bda-online.org.au - prize sponsor
Have a sub to this one. Must check back to see if there's anything new.

18 Read a family history blog or start your own genealogy blog writing
stories about individual ancestors or families.
I am a blogaholic. I read and write them. I started a new fun one in #NFHM2014. Check it out at 
http://geneadictionary.wordpress.com

19 Have another look at that brick wall - construct a time line of known facts
and relook at everything. I'm offering a prize to assist in brick wall
demolitions if I can. See NFHM sponsors page.
I'm looking.

20 Visit your local library and explore the genealogy and local history
sections. Or visit your local historical society or a virtual visit to an
historical society near where your ancestors lived
Attended a talk at the local library.

21 Enrol in one of the free online genealogy courses offered by the National
Institute of Genealogical Studies www.genealogicalstudies.com - prize
sponsor (details of three courses offered are on NFHM sponsors page)
Great offer which I am declining because I never seem to get around to completing these once I enrol.

22 Make a start on scanning all your old photographs. Remember to identify
and file the images as you go.
I get a gold star here. Have nearly 100,000 photos scanned and tagged with the help of Picasa. I need to weed out duplicates.

23 Visit your local newsagent and see what genealogy and family history
magazines they have. Australian Family Tree Connections
www.aftc.com.au and Inside History Magazine
www.insidehistory.com.au - both prize sponsors
I always make sure that Inside History is visible in our local's display.

24 Findmypast www.findmypast.com.au may be available at a local council
library or genealogy/family history society library - book a session time
and see what you can discover - prize sponsor
I'm lucky to have an annual world sub. It's part of the toolbox at my fingertips.

25 Check out the Gould Genealogy & History www.gould.com.au online
catalogue and be ready when the family ask what you want for
Christmas/birthday etc - prize sponsor
If only the family would take note of my hints.

26 Explore FamilySearch https://familysearch.org and perhaps do one of
their online tutorials. Major sponsor
I find their wiki a useful resource. Have visited this month to do some indexing.

27 Join Trove http://trove.nla.gov.au and correct newspaper text after you
make that exciting family discovery! Why not add tags or make a list of
your discoveries?
I'm a Troveite so this month I have shared the joys of Trove with Mr Geniaus who is now hooked.

28 Plan to attend the next AFFHO congress in Canberra in March 2015
www.congress2015.org.au -
Major sponsor and prize sponsor
Barring some major catastrophe I'll be there.

29 Make sure all your photos are identified (both print copies and online)
and explore Picasa's facial recognition capability
http://picasa.google.com.au
See answer to question 22.

30 Why not plan to attend the NSW/ACT conference in Wollongong in
September www.conference2014.org.au - prize sponsor
Considered this long and hard, I love to catch up with my genimates but as the program this year doesn't light my fire I'll be staying home.

31 NSW ancestors - why not look at transcriptions as an alternative to
certificates with Joy Murrin transcription agent www.joymurrin.com.au -
prize sponsor
Compiling a list for when I have more pennies to spare.


3 comments:

Alona Tester said...

Nice work Jill - and it's not even the end of the month. Very impressive.

Bribie Family History Association said...

Wow you leave me feeling like I haven't done enough! Love your energy and enthusiasm. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Jill, Off hiding in my lunchtime to try and keep up with all the postings. You are doing well on the activity list. I am going to keep going into September. Hoping for not too many challenges from the problogger conference I am attending Thurs-Saturday so I can keep going learning from the FH activities. Fran

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...