Monday, August 18, 2014

Makeover Madness

Last week I wrote that I was Tarting up the Template for this blog. Following on from that Alex Daw in her post, Pimp your blog this weekend, suggested that geneabloggers as a #NFHM2104 activity seek feedback from other geneabloggers on how they could improve their blogs.

She suggested "we could say one thing (or more of course) we really like about each other's blog and then maybe one thing that we think the blogger could lose or improve."  About half a dozen brave bloggers signed up, I think we and our blogs all benefitted from others' suggestions. I fiddled and faddled over a few days and think that the GeniAus blog has a cleaner, less cluttered appearance.

Thanks Alex for setting the challenge and to those brave souls who offered their blogs up for evaluation and politely made suggestons for improvement.



Co-incidentally today I was updating a presentation I had given around 18 months ago in which I showed screenshots of several blogs. I had to do new screenshots of most of the blogs as they had nearly all undergone some sort of facelift. In all cases the newer designs were an improvement on the old.

Do you continually update your blog/s layout and design? Do you set aside a few hours every so often for this task?  Have you made no changes and kept the original layout and design?




8 comments:

Jane Taubman said...

I probably spend too much time tinkering with mine and not enough time on content, but I am working to correct that. Your site looks nice and tidy, but I'd vote for a slightly wider format and larger text, just to save me having to zoom or put my glasses on :-)

JL Beeken said...

I can't remember what it used to look like but it looks great now!

Kylie Willison said...

I haven't changed my blog template for some time now but I do take time to look it over every now and then and see if anything needs changing. At the moment I've got a dead link I must remember to fix. :-)

Elizabeth Handler said...

I haven't spent much time really LOOKING at my blog recently. If anyone is willing to provide constructive advice, I'd welcome it.
http://frommainetokentucky.blogspot.com
http://jewishgenealogyjourney.blogspot.com

GeniAus said...

Thanks for your comment - I'll take a look Elizabeth.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

Are we having pear tart with our tart-up? To respond, I usually change my blog a bit when the mood overtakes me. This is probably the biggest change I've made and am happy enough with it now ...not to mention I'm over fiddling and faddling.

I'd like to thank you & Alex for the inspiration to really look at our blogs. Also thanks to all the commenters for their wonderfully supportive and constructive feedback. It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be :-)

ScotSue said...

Hi, Jill - I echo your thanks to Alex for setting up the challenge of a Blog Makeover, and I am very grateful for the constructive comments I have received from fellow bloggers. In my early days of blogging, I played with various backgrounds and colours, but have not made changes for ovr a year at least, so Alex's challenge was timely. Your blog looks so clear and clean with an uncluttered sidebar. I do agree with Jane, though, I would welcome a larger font. I like your Contacts page - it is so frustrating to encounter a blog where you would like to send a personal message but cannot trace any contact details. You had me puzzled with your Tidbits page - or was it meant to be Titbits? I was intrigued enough to open and see your impressive list of awards & badges.

GeniAus said...

I have upped the font size for my posts - thanks for feedback. I left it small for the page labels bcause making it bigger forced the tidbits label onto another line. English usage is titbit and American tidbit - I'll be changng to the English spelling.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...