Sunday, December 4, 2011

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories 2010 - December 4 - Christmas Cards

Enclosed with my Christmas cards for the last ten years or so has been a family Christmas letter in which I summarise the hatches, matches, dispatches, trials and triumphs of immediate family members. I have heard people scoff at these annual epistles by calling them "brag bulletins" and other derogatory names. To these people I say "Bah, Humbug".

When I look back at my collection of Christmas Letters I find that I have a neat summary of important family events for the last decade. If I continue the practice for another couple of decades I will have a rich resource to pass on to future generations who may not be simply interested in the dry Birth, Death and Marriage facts in my family tree but in our activities.

I must admit to not fully reading some of the Christmas letters I get as they are just too long. I love hearing of the doings of other families but prefer an "executive summary" rather than a novel. I edit, edit and edit again and make sure that my letter is no more than an A4 page in a font size that is readable.

As it's now 4th December I must away, reflect on the past year and write my Christmas Chronicle".

This post was written for the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories and first published in 2010


Colleen G. Brown Pasquale said...

I write a yearly Christmas letter also. I'd love to be able to send an individual letter to each person but that would take way too much time so I write letter to all. It is a nice way to review the year. I also make Christmas photo books where I include the letters with the photos. I give the books to our children.

Wendy said...

I've never thought of the Christmas letter as a genealogical "document" before, but how true! Write on!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...