Wednesday, November 30, 2011

St Andrew's Day - 30 November

Today, 30th November, is the feast day of St Andrew, patron Saint of Scotland, and a Bank Holiday in Scotland. I send greetings to all Scots especially those Scottish cousins we hope to identify some day.

Saint Andrew's Cross or the Saltire
The flag of Scotland
Mr Geniaus and I have a few Scots in our family tree so I thought I'd see if any of them were named after the Saintly Andrew. A perusal of  our combined trees  returns only one Scot named Andrew. Andrew Sibbald, my husband's 3rd cousin 3 times removed was born in Tranent, Haddingtonshire, Scotland in 1874.

The son of  James Sibbald and Elizabeth Cunningham, Andrew appears on three Scottish Censuses 1881, 1891 and 1901. At the age of 27 in 1901 he was a ploughman working at Overton House Cottage, Kirknewton and East Calder in Scotland.

Are there any Scottish Andrews in your tree?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nary a one despite all my Scottish lines.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...