Saturday, February 5, 2011

Waitangi Day Blog Challenge - The Clifford Sisters

Having found some New Zealand connections in my database I can now submit a post to the Waitangi Day Blog Challenge organised by Genebrarian (Seonaid Lewis).

Sophia Clifford and Ethelinda Clifford, two of the grandaughters of my convict ancestor Elizabeth Phipps left Australia for New Zealand in the mid 1800's. Once in New Zealand they married and lead respectable lives away from their shifty ancestors.

Sophia Clifford and William Gunn Macpherson (Photo from Robert Barrack NZ)
Sophia married William Gunn Macpherson in Christchurch in 1860. She died in Fiji in 1906. Her younger sister Ethelinda married Thomas Eyton in 1867  in Timaru, Ethelinda died in New Zealand in 1910. A biography of Thomas Eyton, in The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District] does not mention his wife Ethelinda.

Ethelinda's daughter, Sarah Gertrude Eyton married Sophia's son William Macpherson in Palmerston North in 1897.

I would love to connect with any ancestors of these famiies who would be my distant cousins.


2 comments:

genebrarian said...

Connecting with someone is always so exciting. Hope you do make a connection - thanks so much for your fab contribution.

Jo said...

Thanks for the wee reminder that I need to post about my rellies who left Scotland for NZ. I'd love to make contact with their descendants :-) Jo

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...