Thursday, February 10, 2011

Rootstech Trek - The Arrival

'Twas a very comfortable ride with Qantas, as I scored a pair of seats to myself so I was able to have my books and toys on one and spread myself right out.  We arrived on time in SFO and sailed straight customs and immigration. It was a marathon walk to the domestic terminal where I managed to get myself on an earlier flight to Salt Lake City so I could take advantage of a media tour this afternoon.

Once I settled into the hotel I set out for the tour of  FamilySearch’s state-of-the-art microfilm distribution facility that was to leave from the West Gate of Temple Square. I wandered around the square before asking directions to the West Gate where I arrived huffing and puffing at 3:35pm but I was too late. My orienteering skills are no good at the best of times but I was clueless about North, South East and West in a strange location and a different hemisphere. I am sure that the Rootstech Official Bloggers who were there will be posting articles on the visit so watch their blogs.

One can see spires in Temple Square from my hotel room
Wandering back to the hotel I stationed myself in the lobby so I could use the free wifi (I didn't realise that it was available in the rooms).  I eavesdropped on a few conversations from people who were registering then I struck up a conversation with a lady who turned out to be a virtual mate, Marie Dougan, from Scotland and while we were chatting along came Louise St Denis from NIGS whom I  had met in Australia last November.

Tonight my camera and I will be having dinner with my fellow Rootstech Official Bloggers, I can't wait to meet those who have been so generous with their advice as this nervous Nellie was preparing for the Trek to Rootstech.



2 comments:

Shelley Crawford said...

I'm glad you made it there safely. I look forward to reading your posts!

Taneya said...

I am so very jealous! the view is gorgeous! I'm looking forward to reading about your experience there.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...